• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could this work?

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
I am looking at moving over the summer and in my new house, I am not going to have room for house buns so they will more than likely be going to live in a nice big shed in the garden (if I can't make room for them in the house)

I was wondering how sucessful I am likely to be at bonding my 5 rabbits so they can all live and play together?

I have 3 boys and 2 girls which are all neutered. 2 of my boys are brothers from the same litter and love each other so much and the other 3 comprise of 2 girls from the same litter and a slightly older male who seem to get on fine now.

What to you think?

hi lynda_m

good luck!
the one thing you will definitely have on your side is neutrality.
we've got a group of 4 and a group of 3 who come in the
lounge and get on well as 7 but we're not brave enough
to try them all in their own (joint) space. we're hoping to move
and are confident the 7 will bond then when no territiry smells exist.

Neil

My boyfriend said 'Great idea, let's try it tonight' to which I said Nooooooooo we can't do that! He didn't know about the neutral territory thing!

If we are brave enough to do it, it'll be in the kitchen of the new house and their first play time will be together and see how they all get on.

I think if your 7 play together well then they should get on fine living together :)

Keep us updated though, especially if you move before me ;)

How are the bonds when the buns can see the other group?
Are Teddy & Bertie ok with each other if the see/smell Benji & the girls?
If so, you could start them living alongside each other for a bit & see how they are with the other group.

Just take it slow, but bear in mind you might not end up with closely-bonded buns. Of my 9, there are a couple of couples in that (Chocolate/Kendra, Joey/Spice), but there's isn't as much of the cuddling that goes on in my bonded pairs.

Teddy and Bertie have sniffed the girls once before and were fine, but I think Ted saw Benji once and tried to bite him so I'm not sure, but both times it was on Teddy and Berties territory.

Would I be ok moving Benji and the girls cage in to Teddy and Bertie's room or is it too risky?

No!!!, it definately won't work, so there's only one answer...........they will all have to come and live with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, if you take it steady and plan it, especially on neutral territory, I think you stand a good chance

Good luck

Thanks Theo :D

I will see if I can move the other cage in to the rabbit room tonight and see what happens then when we move I will give them all a run together in what will be neutral territory and see how it goes :?

A bit of an update, it seems that poor little Anastacia is still being bullied by her sister.

Do you think if I bond them as a 5some, that Sofia will try and bully Teddy and Bertie too or that she will keep her bond with Benji and that Anastacia may for a bond with Teddy and Bertie, at the moment Sof only seems to bother with Ana when she is scared and needs someone to cuddle up to.
I don't want to upset the bond between T&B but I want Anastacia to have somebun she can snuggle up to :(

It's quite upsetting to think she's being bullied :(

Any advice would really be appreciated

Aww poor bun :( Is it the sight/smell of other buns that's doing it?

You could try them in a 5 - if worse comes to worse, have you room for 3 pairs?

awwwwww good luck hun in my personaly experience boys are the problem with bonding but I have everything crossed that you can do this :love:

one thing I would DEFINITELY suggest is get a shed with 2 doors so if it doesnt work you can split the shed and have access to the shed in separate sides :thumb:

awwwwww good luck hun in my personaly experience boys are the problem with bonding but I have everything crossed that you can do this :love:

one thing I would DEFINITELY suggest is get a shed with 2 doors so if it doesnt work you can split the shed and have access to the shed in separate sides :thumb:

Thanks Carys, I think we're going to give it a whirl by putting Benji and the girls cage in the same room as T&B and see if anything happens!

Back