• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ozzy was put to sleep 8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hello guys,

I've a horrible decision to make and I'm not sure I can make it, need some help and moral support.

You may know that Ozzy has bone cancer he was diagnosed in early Feb, although he can't use his one leg he's mostly been ok, just had a little daily metacam in case of any pain.

There is nothing that can be done for him and the vets told me to bring him back when it was time to put him to sleep. Yesterday morning Ozzy was fine and well and throughout the day, when it was veggie time last night he didn't belt to the upstairs of his hutch for then (very unusual), I pull out his run and had a look at him and he was feeling very sorry for himself. I couldn't tempt him with any food, so I brought him inside for last night. He was moving around every now and then, but when he settled down he really wasn't himself. I should of taken him to the vets last night, but I know they would want to put him down straight away and I needed time, plus Bryn was out and I needed to talk about it with him about it.

I made the decision to put him to sleep this morning, before I came into work. I got up early to say my goodbyes to him and thought I would try and tempt him to eat. I tried a few different things, then he started to eat a leaf, not much granted, but my whole basis for putting him to sleep was he'd stopped eating.

I think it is his time and think it's got to be done, but how do I know I'm making the right decision. What if teh cold was just in his bones? He's not right, but I'm worried he was just having an off day.

I really thought he would last longer, he's been having reiki and herbal cancer treatment, I just didn't want him to go yet, but I don't want him to suffer, this is so hard.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It is a hard one, I do know I nursed a lady with bone cancer and she was in a horrible amount of pain and it doesn't sound like Ozzie is at the moment but how to catch the time to pts before he suffers and not do it too soon, I don't really know :(

I think you're the one who knows him best and perhaps if you have to ask the question you're not sure so why not give him the weekend and see how he is on Monday

Good luck with him, sending huge vibes and hugs xx

OMG, what an awful decision to have to make, I think the only thing I can say is that go by your gut instincts, you know you would do anything to make him better and you have tried but it has caught up with him.

I always think that if they are not in distress or pain then let him live his life but is that what he wants, he is obviously not feeling 100% and maybe it's time to let him go :cry: :cry:

I know you think the same as me........what is best for Ozzie and it's him that you make the decision for.

I don't know if this has been any help, but I am so sorry, I'll be thinking of you

Thank you so much help for your help guys and you are really helping.

There is clearly something wrong with him at the minute, but I am so scared that it may be because the weather went damp/cold. I am scared it's just a blip, it's the worse thing in the world to have to do, I will take him to the evts today, but I know they'll tell me to put him to sleep. I wish this would go away :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thinking of you and Ozzy. As has been said you know Ozzy best and can tell when he has had enough. Such a hard decision to make :( Ive been there with my first pony. Sending hugs xxx

oh no :cry: Im sorry Ozzys gone down hill so quickly :cry:

its so hard, but you know if its time for him. Could you pop home at lunchtime or something to see how he seems now?

Thinking of you xx

:( im so sorry. what an awful decision to have to make. like the others have said you know your bun the best and whatever decision you do make its in ozzys best interest. thinking of you x x

its is such a tough desicion to make, you know ozzy best and he will let you know when he can no longer go on.

it was the same for me when bridge bun matilda had cancer. i got up one day and i knew she didnt want to fight anymore so i went to the vets and they helped her on her way :(

:( :( :(

Thanks guys, you're great. I really think he was telling me he's had enough and I don't want him to suffer at all :cry: , I wish more than anything he was ok :cry: .

Mandy, It's too far away from work to go home I wouldn't do it in an hour, but I've booked this afternoon off, so I can spend some time with him :cry: :cry:

Tree you have to do what you feel is right for Ozzy, all be it a very hard decision but I am sure you know Ozzy better than any of us.

We will support your decision whatever you choose to do x

To be honest, Id give him 3/4 days a) to see if he improves and b) to spoil him to death.

give him everythin he likes - cuddles- make his last few days the best- and if he improves- bonus!

Sorry to hear he is poorly. Its such a difficult decision to make and impossible to comment.

I suppose you can only look for the signs from him to say he has had enough. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So sorry to hear how tough things are. He will know you care for him and love him very much.

Fiona x

Thanks guys, I really needed to know I was doing the right thing, I feel totally **** about it all, I really do :cry: . Jemma, I think he is in a lot of pain, I would rather not do it, but I feel as if, if I was to keep him alive it would be for me not him. :cry:

It s totally up to you tree you know your bunny, if you feel he can go on let him, if you feel he has just lost that zest for life then you know its time, :( No one else but you can tell.

Thanks Hayley, it's getting closer to home time, going about 12.30. I don't think I will take him untill this evening, I just want him to be well when I get in. I really didn't want to let him go yet, I stupidly thought that with all the new age healing stuff he's been having he would be around for at least the summer.

I know how you feel i was the same with my girls :( i really wanted them to get better but they didnt in my case, and i just knew it was time.

I hope he does feel better when you get home

You're right, I'ver booked him in for a check up at 6.10 this evening, with a possible PTS, they said I could bring him in earlier, but I've said no as I want a bit of quality time with him and I want Bryn there :cry:

I would give it a 1 week observation to confirm your findings. Ozzy could have a few down days and back up to normal after that. Then the above cycle repeats itself.

Don't be too quick to jump to conclusion.

SOAD said:
You're right, I'ver booked him in for a check up at 6.10 this evening, with a possible PTS, they said I could bring him in earlier, but I've said no as I want a bit of quality time with him and I want Bryn there :cry:

You could always cancel if he looks and feels better when you get home as well :D you never know he might have perked up a bit. Dont forget mine had a deadly illness and might never have recovered, Ozzy might still have a few months or even years yet :D

Back