• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me! Clover and Archie had a fight. NOW SEPARATED :-(

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi folks.

Please help me.

I let Clover and Archie (newly bonded exactly one week ago) out into the run last night whilst I was feeding the others rabbits. It was about 11pm and dark and Archie hasn't been out in the run in the dark before (not yet permanently attached so I need to be there).

Anyway they came bounding out and I then went down the garden to see to my others. Next thing I heard was a MAJOR scuffle. I bolted up to them to find them rolling in a ball, teeth all a show and fur absolutely everywhere. I managed to separate them but it kicked off again. I think it seems that Archie might have tried to mount Clover (as usual), which he has been doing lots and that she has bitten back. When it kicked off again, it was Clover who ran at Archie :cry:

I separated them to check them for a moment and couldn't find any bite marks. I was brave and didn't break the bond by separating them overnight in case that sealed their fate. So I brought them in overnight and stayed up ( :shock: ) the whole night watching them. They have been fine and quite snuggly in the house, though maybe not as much as before.

I think I will go out and disinfect the whole shed and let them start again.

Is this wise? Will this just happen again. Does it sound to you like Clover was just at the end of her tether with him humping her and chasing her when he gets excited?

I'm gutted for my little bunnies. I thought they loved each other?

Fiona x

i dont know from experience but a lot of people have been saying bonded couples will fight because spring is in the air. Its the toughest time of the year for bonding methinks

Hi,
I've always had Lola (a dwarf lop) and we originally rescued her and her brother. He died after 5 days of a liver infection so we rescued a Lion Head - Ernie.

We had the bonding process and all seemed well but it didn't take long for the ruff and tumbles to start. Ernie tried to mount Lola and she wasn't having any of it and, exactly as you say, they would roll around fur flying everywhere. We tried everything and we even had him on hormone reducing drugs (he had been neutered) to try and help the situation, but unfortunately it didn't work.

It got worse because he then turned on me and my husband. He wouldn't let us near him and 'went' for us whenever we approached the run or tried to get to Lola.

Sadly he had to go back to the rescue centre as it was really affecting Lola, thankfully he was re-homed and is happy.

If they have already been together a week without fighting, then I'm not sure that one scuffle is a sign that they will definitely fight again. However as I'm sure you know from my previous posts I have very very little experience of bonding! If you can be around to keep an eye on them I wouldn't rush to separate them.

Is there anything else that might have upset them? A cat near by or something?

When I think back to yesterday morning, their was some fur from Clover lying in the shed so I think Archie has been humping her. I hope this is a one off. They look a bit better today but of course, bunnies are designed to deceive us. Possibly only because they are scared in the house together.

I feel sick with worry that they won't be friends. I will neutralise the shed and run today and take them for a run in the car.

Any more thoughts or advice advice would be so much appreciated

Fiona x

Could it be because they could smell the other Rabbits when out in the run? As it was dark they would have to identify each other by smell and maybe other bunny smells confused them.

I have a bonded pair, Eddie and Lizzie, who I cant put out in the garden as they try to kill each other :shock: But in their indoor pen they are a totally loved up couple. The smell of 'strange' rabbits in the garden causes problems as both Eddie and Lizzie have dodgey eyesight and rely heavily on their sense of smell to identify each other.

Janex

As others have said the other bun smell may have upset them.

I do have 2 buns that live in a big group. A year prior to that they lived as a pair for a month, & bonding broke down 4 weeks in, in a serious fight - so even if your buns do fight - it's not the end of them ever living together in the future

I'd say it was the presence of the other buns that caused things to kick off again. Until they are fully "bonded" I'd try and keep the other buns out of sight and smell of the pair - it'll only upset things. Even a couple that have been together for years can have a bit of a scuffle when new buns are on the block!

I agree with mad Bunster's post. My two have been happily bonded for a year and they are loved up pair of snuggle buns, but despite that Bournville turned on Floss(who is normally the dominant one!) when I stupidly put their run too close to that of Furby's when I first got her. Things settled down fairly quickly but it didn't half shake me, and poor Floss who sat and looked miserable and confused for the rest of that afternoon!

Do not worry after a month or Orchid and Little Man living together I was awoken by noise that I thought someone was breaking into our house I bolted downstairs it was those 2 fighting in the crate :shock:

Put them back together after a day and they never fought again.

If they can smell your other buns be careful as this has been a huge problem for me and has caused a fight between Poppet and Bino many times :)

Thanks for the replies.

But I think there might have been a fight earlier when they were in the shed and there would be no sight or smell of other bunnies then.

The other buns live quite far away and its behind a huge fence and on the lower part of my garden so they definitely can't see them. Maybe can smell them I suppose but I'm not so sure as wouldn't explain the earlier fight.

They are both still inside and behaving and I will be braving putting them back out in their own house later.

Fiona x

Clover and Archie have now been separated due to a big fight that broke out at 3pm. I didn't see who started it, I suspect it might have been Archie although it is so difficult to tell.

I am gutted for them. They both have little wounds, Clover more than Archie. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

They look very sorry for themselves and I feel terrible that they are back on their own but I know it is for the best at the moment.

I think I will try again in a few weeks in the hope that maybe Archie's hormones will settle down a little. He was neutered three weeks ago. I hope its that that has caused that and I truly hope its not a dislike of each other.

Just wondered if anyone has experience of a pairing gone sour after 1 week (with no previous problems)?

Do you think this has to be the end of this partnership?

Fiona x

Hi Fiona
Sorry to hear Clover & Archie have fallen out. Perhaps it will take a bit longer for Archie's neuter to settle down? When i first got Jinxy he had only just been neutered, I left it a little while before introducing him to Fleur, but even after three weeks he was still trying to mount her and they used to have scuffles, with some fur flying. I kept them in the shed with a wire divider down the middle so they could still see each other, but couldn't fight in the night. Anyway, a few weeks on, Jinxy settled down and he no longer tries to mount her, although she's been trying it on him! I came home from work yesterday, to find Fleur had scaled the divider and was happily snuggling with Jinxy in his half of the shed.

I hope things work out for them, pehaps let him settle down and try again?

Take care and good luck.
xx

Thanks Lisa. Clover is not eating today and is very stressed. So its all systems go here.

I'm sooooo disappointed and feel so low about it. I don't know what to do if it doesn't work as the set up I have isn't ideal to have 2 single bunnies for any length of time.

Would people say its best to let Archie and Clover have a sniff of each other as I can put them in joining hutches/runs or does absence make the bun heart fonder?

Fiona x

hi Fionabun
sorry it's not going well, I would definitely keep them within smelling distance and every time you stroke them try to spread chin smell onto the other's forehead. hopefully it is just due to his sense of duty/memory and given a short period apart things can be restored to peaceful cohabitation.
fingers crossed for you

Neil

Is it possible to keep them in seperate areas, but close enough so that they can see and smell each other? If so, I'd go for that option and give Archie another couple of weeks until his hormone level has receeded. Meanwhile swap over bedding material from time to time so that they get used to the other's scent in their areas.Then try again when you feel brave enough :)

Back