• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feel a bad bunny mummy......

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
but think I am doing the right thing. My lovely jinxy is a dear little fellow, he follows me everywhere and is always begging for food! However, I am not giving into him as I want him to eat his hay. He only has a few pellets every day, and vegetables in the evening and I have even cut this down as I was guilty of giving into his demands.

He always seems hungry though and is always begging - I've never had a bun do this before - presumably if he is that hungry he will eat the hay? I have been buying the good quality stuff too. I suppose I will just have to be firm for his sake, oohhh but it's so hard, he tucks into the vegetables and the small amount of pellets like he's never eaten before?

I know he must he hay, hay and more hay, but could he genuinely be hungry?

xx

Is he actually eating the hay? If not mixing his pellets/veggies into it might encourage him.

Have you tried offering him hay when he begs? Sometimes food just taste better if it's hand fed. Another option would be fresh grass - this is just as good for him as hay, although you need to introduce it gradually. You could grow a pot full on your window sill and pick it to fed as a healthy treat.

Tam

Put the hay next to or in his toilet area.
Mine won't eat hay unless its in their litter trays.
I suppose its a bit like us reading the newspaper on the toilet :lol: :lol:

When I first got him, I know he was eating hay - but it is my fault now if he doesn't eat as much as I introduced him to possibly too many veggies, over time, although I have always restricted his pellets to only a few. With the veggies his poo looks smaller and darker than it did when I first got him, so I will check them out to see if they change to look like "hay poo" having reduced the veg.

As he lives on a bed of hay in the shed, it's hard to guage how much he is could be actually eating. He loves grass, when I let him out, he munches away constantly. I shall have to monitor it I guess. Oh wot a worry and I blame myself.

xx

If he's a grass muncher then don't worry, he gets the same benefits from the grass as he does the hay.

Remember their wild cousins munch on the stuff all day and no harm comes to their digestive systems :lol:

Back