• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey has a lump on her ladybits -Update-

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I couldn't think of a more family-friendly way to put it sorry :oops:

My five year old rex Honey has a lump next to her bits. It doesn't look very red or painful but its pink and theres some yellowy areas to it, like fatty stuff? Shes been fine in herself. I found it about a week ago, I check her often down there because she was overweight for a time and couldn't clean herself there properly.

I've taken a few photos.
Her head would be at the top of the photo, you can see the mass on the left: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Lysine/hlb1.jpg

Same here, head at the top, you can see the left side is larger than the right side here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Lysine/hlb2.jpg

Head would be at the bottom of the photo in this one, lump is obvious (but as its from the other side its on the right-hand side now): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Lysine/hlb3.jpg

Does anyone know what it could be?

It might be a soft tissue infection or possibly Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphillis) Has she ever had babies? If she has then I'd guess Treponamatosis aquired when mating (even if mated YEARS ago)

She needs to be seen by your Vet as it looks sore and must sting when she wees :(

Janex

Thanks guys :)

Jack's-Jane said:
It might be a soft tissue infection or possibly Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphillis) Has she ever had babies? If she has then I'd guess Treponamatosis aquired when mating (even if mated YEARS ago)

She needs to be seen by your Vet as it looks sore and must sting when she wees :(

Janex

She was born in a refuge and I got her when she was 9 months old and had her spayed then so I don't think it could be from mating, she definately wouldn't have been mated at the refuge. I will be taking her to the vets definately, I'll give them a call tomorrow but I might have to wait until Monday!

My rabbit Pippa's had that and tbh it's still there - the vet didn't know what it was - she was worried it was myxi at first then decided it wasn't and I hibiscrubbed it for a few weeks but it made no difference. In the end we decided to wait and see and although it's loads better it's not gone completely, so if you get to the bottom of it, please let me know

it looks like syphilis to me, aspen has it (i would say had but she recently had a flare up :( )
it can be transmitted via er 'ladies and gentlemans' as jane would put it ( :lol: :lol: sorry jane :lol: :lol: ) but they can also be born with it. checke her eyelids and nose too, though aspen didnt show any signs of it there the 1st time :wink:

colliewoman said:
it looks like syphilis to me, aspen has it (i would say had but she recently had a flare up :( )
it can be transmitted via er 'ladies and gentlemans' as jane would put it ( :lol: :lol: sorry jane :lol: :lol: ) but they can also be born with it. checke her eyelids and nose too, though aspen didnt show any signs of it there the 1st time :wink:

If it is syphilis, what's the treatment for it??

kayjay said:
colliewoman said:

If it is syphilis, what's the treatment for it??

Penicillin injections, usually 2 a week for 3 weeks :)

Janex

Got her in at the vets on Monday :)

Have some posts been deleted from this thread? I thought someone else said she could have got it through her mother :?

Some posts keep disappearing, I think it's the forum wobbling again :roll:

Please let us know what the vet says as I think I'll take my bun back also

I've taken Honey to the vets. The vet had a good look and a squeeze and said he'd never seen anything like it before and really didn't have much idea, although he was very interested and keen about it. I said I'd asked some rabbit people who had suggested syphilis. He got a book out and looked it up but it said that syphilis showed ulceration and redness and Honey's lump looks pink (not an angry pink) with yellow bits in it.

He wasn't sure about it at all. He said we could aspirate it to see what came out and send it off for testing or we could get it operated on but its in a funny place anyway. He said I could try her on antibiotics and see if it went down much. He was squeezing it to see if it was an abscess (Honey wasn't very bothered by this) and I said it the yellowyness looks like its fatty and he agreed. He said if we had her on antibiotics and it goes down then that would be good. If it grows or gets angry then to take her back in a week to ten days and we'd see from there.

I suggested that I keep her on her own to watch how much she eats and if she goes to the toilet okay and he said it would be worth doing that because shes not giving off any signs that shes ill at all. Shes running around eating and drinking and being bright and sociable and I haven't noticed her trying to get at her lump at all.

I got Baytril for her, 0.5ml twice a day (shes a rex of 2.45kg). She normally lives outside in a hutch and run with two other rabbits but I could keep her in an indoor rabbit cage in the house to watch her. When I had my other rabbit Rosie on her own she was such a misery after a while so I may bring Honey in on the evenings and overnight and then let her be with her friends during the day.

So what do you think?

Back