• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas what this could be??

Adele

Warren Veteran
Hello, I just wondered if anyone had experienced the following symptoms in their rabbit, and possible causes :?:

Gabriel our lovely 3 year old Angora suddenly developed fluid on his abdomen and under his neck.. At first I thought he had a thyroid condition as poor poppet went all sluggish, but vet visited yesterday and is as perplexed as I!!. Gabriels heart rate is good (so not slow as you may associate with a thyroid condition), he does not have any fluid in his lungs(breathing is fine), and he is now lively again, eating and toileting.
The vet said he seemed well in himself, but plans to scan Gabriel if condition worsens, or stays the same for another week.
The only possible thing we could come up with was a liver problem :?: I am treating Gabriel with Panacur and Baytril incase it is a parasite or infection, but he is wormed several times a year anyway.
Can anyone help please??
Thank you
love Adele

Yes I agree she will be along with her book in hand any minute. She's not far away I'm sure.

Calling Dr Jane!!!

Maureen

MoBunny said:
Ye4s I agree she will be along with her book in hand any minute. She's not far away I'm sure.

Calling Dr Jane!!!

Maureen

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dr Jane where are you :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Please report in, you are needed to solve this mystery....never seen anything like it in 25 years of rabbiting :roll:

Adele said:
Hello, I just wondered if anyone had experienced the following symptoms in their rabbit, and possible causes :?:

Gabriel our lovely 3 year old Angora suddenly developed fluid on his abdomen and under his neck.. At first I thought he had a thyroid condition as poor poppet went all sluggish, but vet visited yesterday and is as perplexed as I!!. Gabriels heart rate is good (so not slow as you may associate with a thyroid condition), he does not have any fluid in his lungs(breathing is fine), and he is now lively again, eating and toileting.
The vet said he seemed well in himself, but plans to scan Gabriel if condition worsens, or stays the same for another week.
The only possible thing we could come up with was a liver problem :?: I am treating Gabriel with Panacur and Baytril incase it is a parasite or infection, but he is wormed several times a year anyway.
Can anyone help please??
Thank you
love Adele

Is the fluid collecting just under the skin and staying there? If his heart rate is good, no breathing problems and is well in himself I wouldn't have thought it would be a heart problem. I had a similar problem with a guinea pig not so long ago where fluid collected in her entire underside from the neck down. I cant remember the name of the condition (had some sort of fancy name :lol: ) but it was caused by a loss of protein from the blood. Protein holds fluid in the blood and if the protein is loss the fluid collects at the lowest part of the body. We treated with nandralone and a higher protein diet.

I would guess at a heart problem. Only by what I have seen in two of the 5 'cardiac' Buns I have nursed.
Did the Vet give a diuretic? The two Buns I had who exhibited similar symptoms were Brothers and their heart condition was genetic.
Their heart rate was not slow but was irregular (arrhythmia) and they also exhibited ascites (fluid in abdominnal cavity). This did cause dyspnoea though so not quite the same as Gabriel :?

I dont know for sure but I THINK ascites occurs late on in Liver Disease so I would have thought Gabriel would feel unwell in himself if that were the problem :?

Sorry he is giving you cause for concern :(

Janex

sgprescue said:
Adele said:
Is the fluid collecting just under the skin and staying there? If his heart rate is good, no breathing problems and is well in himself I wouldn't have thought it would be a heart problem. I had a similar problem with a guinea pig not so long ago where fluid collected in her entire underside from the neck down. I cant remember the name of the condition (had some sort of fancy name :lol: ) but it was caused by a loss of protein from the blood. Protein holds fluid in the blood and if the protein is loss the fluid collects at the lowest part of the body. We treated with nandralone and a higher protein diet.

Hiya Cheryl, thank so much for taking the time to post :D
Yes, Gabriel has fluid collecting directly under the skin on his entire underside, but not down his legs. The fluid build up began on his tum and then spread upwards, he is well in himself though :)
I will have a chat to the vet about possibility of loss of protein from the blood :wink:
What causes loss of protein from the blood though :?:
Did the guinea pig respond well to the treatment and is she fully restored to health now :?:
Best wishes

Best wishes

Jack's-Jane said:
I would guess at a heart problem. Only by what I have seen in two of the 5 'cardiac' Buns I have nursed.
Did the Vet give a diuretic? The two Buns I had who exhibited similar symptoms were Brothers and their heart condition was genetic.
Their heart rate was not slow but was irregular (arrhythmia) and they also exhibited ascites (fluid in abdominnal cavity). This did cause dyspnoea though so not quite the same as Gabriel :?

I dont know for sure but I THINK ascites occurs late on in Liver Disease so I would have thought Gabriel would feel unwell in himself if that were the problem :?

Sorry he is giving you cause for concern :(

Janex

Aaawwww thank you so much for all your thoughts on this matter Jane, it is very kind of you to help :D
I am taking Gabriel back to vets shortly for another assessment, and ask the vet about a diuretic until we can establish exactly what is going on.
It is the not knowing thats the worst part, it drives me mad :roll:
Overnight some of the fluid seems to gone down around Gabriels neck, and this is after I wormed him..probably not connected at all, but at least he does not appear to be getting worse at the moment.
The vet wanted to monitor Gabriel over the next week before we do further tests, and just treat him symptomatically for now.
Love Adele

Adele said:
sgprescue said:
Adele said:

Hiya Cheryl, thank so much for taking the time to post :D
Yes, Gabriel has fluid collecting directly under the skin on his entire underside, but not down his legs. The fluid build up began on his tum and then spread upwards, he is well in himself though :)
I will have a chat to the vet about possibility of loss of protein from the blood :wink:
What causes loss of protein from the blood though :?:
Did the guinea pig respond well to the treatment and is she fully restored to health now :?:
Best wishes

Best wishes

Sounds exactly like what happened to Pearl. I had never seen anything like it but my vet knew what it was straight away. Apparantly its more common in dogs, rarely seen in small animals. He was in contact with one of the top rabbit vets (cant remember who :oops: ) to get advice. Unfortunatly Pearl is no longer with us but she had a lot of other major health problems which didnt help. You could get your vet to phone my vet to discuss it, I am sure he wouldnt mind. Get him to ask for Rob and the phone number is 01603 484359, he will be there tomorow :wink:

Jack's-Jane said:
I dont know for sure but I THINK ascites occurs late on in Liver Disease so I would have thought Gabriel would feel unwell in himself if that were the problem :? Janex

:wink: :wink: :wink: Yes it does Jane

I hope Gabriel is ok.xx

I have had two buns with fluid build up that where both related to heart disease :(
Our beloved Buster also started to build up fluid and diuretics where used but to no avail :( It was found that Buster had tumours all over his body :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just a thought but haven't you had the buns all vaccinated recently? I wonder if Gabriel has had some kind of reaction :?

Jaypot said:
I have had two buns with fluid build up that where both related to heart disease :(
Our beloved Buster also started to build up fluid and diuretics where used but to no avail :( It was found that Buster had tumours all over his body :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just a thought but haven't you had the buns all vaccinated recently? I wonder if Gabriel has had some kind of reaction :?

Oh Jay, that is so sad about Buster :( :( I do have thought at back of my mind that Gabriel could have a tumour, but we will try and keep positive and see what (and if) he responds to treatments.
We had the bunnies vaccinated Wednesday but Gabriel did not have his vaccine, as the vet said best to leave it till we get to bottom of his problems.
The fluid seems to have been reabsorbed a bit this morning, and his tummy is a little less wobbly :)
I am happy that Gabriel is not suffering and he has been out in the run as normal :)
I will reassess things after the weekend, and take him for further treatment and tests next week as necessary. The vet wanted me to give it 5-7 days on the Panacur and antibiotics to see how he responded.
Thank you everyone for your fantastic support and suggestions, it really is very kind of you.
Gabriel sends you all kisses and lots of love(, he is a fluffy monster and we love him to bits :love: )

Back