• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Please

weepeep50

Alpha Buck
Bonnie is about 18 months and on her own for the moment in an outdoor hutch. The problem is that she has decided that her bedroom is actually the loo. I have put a litter tray in there and although she uses that too, most of her pellets and wees end up on the floor. Have tried lining it with plastic sheeting and newspaper, but most of that ends up as a chewed heap at the door and she pushes the litter tray aside, so that she can get to her favourite corner. Moving the litter tray around would not solve the problem. I thought that maybe if I closed bedroom area off and placed litter trays in other areas of hutch and run, that she may find another weeing place. I feel, though that taking her bedroom away, even for a short time, might be cruel. Have any of you had this problem and come up with a solution. Anyway, all advice will be gratefully accepted. I was intending putting Scamp in with her in 2 weeks time, he has been neutered and she is being spayed tomorrow. It would not be viable to do this, if she is still using such a large area for a toilet.
Jo x :bunny:

I have heard on another thread somewhere that you can cover the whole area with litter trays - get cat ones so they cover a larger area each. That way she can't so easily move things around as its the whole floor. ALso I've heard really disinfecting the area before you put all the litter trays down is really useful.

I hope that helps a little. x

edited to add: I forgot to mention that you then can gradually remove little trays as they get more used to using a certain area.
Also she might be a bit better behaved once she is spayed. It might just be the hormones making her so territorial.

yeah an putting some existing wees and poos in there so she knows what its for- also getting her neutered(if she isnt) would help

Mine do eactly the same! I've had loads of problems with my two dwarf lops not toileting where they should.

I've tried plastic lining, litter trays, newspaper and wood shavings. The only thing that has worked is to buy a large cat litter tray and I've wedged in diagonally in the 'bedroom/converted bathroom' so they can't move it and put some soiled wood shavings and droppings in so they recognise the scent.

They do sometime go in the 'lounge' area but they are soooo much better now than ever before.

Thanks for your tips, I will try the large cat litter tray. Already been putting soiled litter in current tray and she uses it sometimes, but mostly pushes it of the way to get into corner. She is being spayed tomorrow, so hopefully that will help.
Jo x :bunny:

Hi Jo. When I was fostering Furby she selected the sleeping area as her toilet. I tried everything to change/adapt that behaviour, but nothing worked so in the end I just accepted that the bedroom would be her toilet and just made sure she had plenty of nice bedding straw/hay in the open part so that she'd be warm at night.

Back