• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding after a bereavement - U/D So far so good :-)

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
How long should I leave it before I try and bond Orchid with Poppet and Bino?

She is a proper bunny's bunny but tried her with Poppet last night and I think she was warning him off because of Little Man's hatred for Poppet and they had a fight :cry:

Should I leave it until the weekend?

hhhmm not sure, maybe try today and tomorrow small sessions then at the weekend when your there you can try for longer periods :D Hope all goes well

Aww :( i dont know really....i put Esmerelda with Hann the day Bob died as she seemed miserable and it was obvious she wanted to be with him as she lay up against his run.

Maybe Orchid needs a little more time if she misses Little man? i think I would try again at the weekend and see how they get on xx

thanks guys i do think i should leave it in case the bonding upsets her even more but dont want her to be too lonely! :cry:

gosh cant believe little man has gone though :cry:

orchid is a lil ****** with bonding though, think i will wait til the weekend

does anyone know when buns realise their partner is not coming back? :(

Not sure I think Sugar knew straight away when I took Amber away when she had Myxi :cry: she just looked so sad and lonely and wouldnt eat :cry: if Orchid is a bunnys bun it might be harder for her being on her own, at least she has you till you have bonding sorted out. You are rigth about not wanting to stress her out with bonding staright away, upsetting enough time for you all

BirdieBun said:
does anyone know when buns realise their partner is not coming back? :(

It took mine about a week of searching from room to room, getting up on his hind legs looking around, and another couple of weeks of laying his head flat on the ground. I think they need a lot of extra hugs, just like us, when they lose a friend.

"It took mine about a week of searching from room to room, getting up on his hind legs looking around, and another couple of weeks of laying his head flat on the ground."
That's just so heartbreaking :cry: . I'm dreading something happening to one of my beautiful duo and leaving the other alone :cry:

oh god that is heartbreaking :cry:

thing is orchid hates me she really does and now she grunts at me cos i kept taking little man away from her so its not as if i can comfort her :(

im hoping she will accept the other 2 by the weekend. i think i should remove her hutch as she guards it maybe hoping little man will be hiding in it with her again each day?

I didnt know when to start boning Leo with someone when Fudge died.

Although Leo didnt seem bothered at all that he was on his own - in a way i think he was glad :( :?

I waited 2 weeks i think to start bonding and also that was the earliest time i could get to a rescue!!

missblondebunny said:
I didnt know when to start boning Leo with someone when Fudge died.

Although Leo didnt seem bothered at all that he was on his own - in a way i think he was glad :( :?

I waited 2 weeks i think to start bonding and also that was the earliest time i could get to a rescue!!

awwww :(

see i dont want to take on another bun i dont want anymore i had forgotten what the pain was like of losing a beloved pet :(

to get another bunny for orchid's sake would be a total last resort :(

I gave Jenny about three weeks after she lost Harley before trying to bond her again. She knew he had gone because I brought him home for her to see and she spent a little while sniffing him and snuggling up to him. When she hopped away, I took him out and buried him :(

I think I'd go by Orchid's behaviour - if she seems very withdrawn and lonely I'd continue trying to bond her. If you just get the feeling that she needs more time to grieve (or to realise that Little Man isn't coming back) then I'd wait :( You know your bunny best xxx

Morrigan1981 said:
I gave Jenny about three weeks after she lost Harley before trying to bond her again. She knew he had gone because I brought him home for her to see and she spent a little while sniffing him and snuggling up to him. When she hopped away, I took him out and buried him :(

I think I'd go by Orchid's behaviour - if she seems very withdrawn and lonely I'd continue trying to bond her. If you just get the feeling that she needs more time to grieve (or to realise that Little Man isn't coming back) then I'd wait :( You know your bunny best xxx

thanks hun - this sounds really bad but i dont know orchids personality, she is very skittish and doesnt like me so it is hard to know what she is feeling :(

in fact all i am seeing from her now is some aggression and kind of angry body language :?

I usually find it is best to leave a bereaved Bunny for at least a week before attempting a new bonding. Particularly if they did not get to say 'goodbye' to their friend :cry:

I do try to ensure that a bereaved Bun gets some time alone with their deceased friend, but it is not always possible :cry:

Maybe try bonding Orchid with Poppet and Bino in another week or so :?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I usually find it is best to leave a bereaved Bunny for at least a week before attempting a new bonding. Particularly if they did not get to say 'goodbye' to their friend :cry:

I do try to ensure that a bereaved Bun gets some time alone with their deceased friend, but it is not always possible :cry:

Janex

maybe i should have brought little man home but i couldnt see him dead i saw my bird dead and that was how i remembered him for a long long time maybe that was selfish of me i dont know :cry:

so do you think the weekend is too soon?

BirdieBun said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

maybe i should have brought little man home but i couldnt see him dead i saw my bird dead and that was how i remembered him for a long long time maybe that was selfish of me i dont know :cry:

so do you think the weekend is too soon?

Well you could try. I think it really is dependent on each individual Bun. I just know that I have only ever had 1 successful bonding of a bereaved Bun the day after his loss.
The others seemed to need time alone.

Janex

I have decided to bond them tomorrow but as I have had pointed out to me buns are hormonal at this time of year, this morning Poppet bit me and Orchid is growling at me a lot :?

So tomorrow it is I really hope it goes well :?

I waited a couple of months but that was for me not Adele, when Cosmos lost Violet I waited a month. Both got to see their partner's body and neither seemed to pine but I didn't feel up to it myself :( !

Caz

Caz said:
I waited a couple of months but that was for me not Adele, when Cosmos lost Violet I waited a month. Both got to see their partner's body and neither seemed to pine but I didn't feel up to it myself :( !

Caz

to be honest that is how i feel but i think i need to stop thinking of how i feel and do this for orchid she is not a people bunny and i am very concerned she wont cope with no bunny companionship for very long - thanks Caz XX

I hope it goes well tomorrow Carys.

I think Audrey would have accepted a new friend straight away as she didnt seem upset to me in the way Esmerelda was. Unfortunately when Rowan died as well as being really upset at losing him I was also already aware that my relationship might not last and I didnt think it was right to adopt another bunn, hence why i havent.

xx

When Nougsy died, I brought her home, so Bobby could get used to the fact that she had gone. He was very grumpy and unhappy - he's very much a bunny's bunny, so we brought Ruby home the following weekend. They bonded without many problems.
Good luck tomorrow, I hope it all goes well.

Back