• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anaesthetic Question

willow123

Young Bun
I am just looking for a little advise/replies from anyone who has experienced any problems with bunnies having anaesthetics.

I was aware that the risks are higher in buns, and with Willow having to have his molars done approx. every 6 weeks, it is only the third time he has had them done.

He was fine with the anaesthetic the first 2 times, but on the third op, the vet told me he was not happy with the anaesthetic, as they had to fibulate (?) him and massage him, although his heart did not stop, he was going blue. :cry: This has now worried me sick, and I am dreading his next op, but have no choice because of his teeth. The vet gives him the anaesthetic suitable for buns, the sensitive one, and said the next time, they are giving him the absolute minimal amount possible.

We normally waited until I could tell that his teeth needed doing, wet chin etc, but once he reduced his eating, he gets the secondary problem that he does not poop, and then I am all on trying to get fiberplex into him and gut motility injections etc to get his gut working, and his droppings contain a lot of blocked fur. The vet has suggested that we do it every 6 weeks regardless, to avoid him been any weaker with not eating. It has normally been 7-8 weeks that the problem has arisen.

Anyone with experience with this, I would appreciate any advice you can give. I am so worried about Willow having ops now, and will be out of my mind with worry every time.

Thanks in advance,

Liz & Willow

Oh dear, that is a worry for you :(
At least your Vet is aware of a previous problem and I am sure he/she will do everything possible to get Willow through his next GA.
I have had a few 'Dental' Bunnies who have given my Vet a fright during a GA. Two of them stopped breathing and my Vet had to breathe into their nose to 'get them back'. But both Buns went on to have further GAs without a problem.

Obviously with older Bunnies, Bunnies with other health problems and those needing repeated GA's the risk is greater. But with Buns needing ongoing Dental treatment there really is no alternative. To do nothing is not an option.

Some Vets attempt to burr molar spurs whilst the Bun is awake. I have no personal experience of this and am not sure how confident I would feel about one of my Buns having it done. But others on here have had there Buns treated without GA so hopefully they will post on this thread.

Janex

Back