• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How serious is Barney's pasteurella?

Hello again

Considering this is my umptienth post in 2 days I think everyone, including my boyfriend has established that Barney is currently the centre of my universe :)

Yesterday before his neuter the vet said Barney had the 'snuffles' which sounded very innocent to me. It wasn't until the afternoon that Soos pointed out the vet was talking about pasteurella :shock:

I've read loads about it but i'm still a bit unclear. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1. Will the vet have known just by looking at him how bad the condition was?

2. If it is a bad strain: a) how do I know? and b) is there anything that can be done?

3. Barney spends a lot of time sitting still breathing quite heavily (head moving up and down with each breath). Could this be a sign it is bad?

Thanks guys. You've all been so helpful so far. What did we do before the internet?! (no need to answer that one :D )

Jen x

I'm not sure how well I can answer your questions but I've had some experience of pasturella. I wouldn't think that the vet would be able to tell how bad it was in Barney just by looking, I think they'd have to listen to his chest. Pasturella usually starts in the nasal passage but left untreated can travel up the tear ducts and down into the respiratory system. I have had buns who have had snuffles, been treated with a simple course of Baytril and recovered quickly. Another bun I rescued called Bilbo had had snuffles for years, it had been left untreated and damaged her lungs to the extent that it was the major contributing factor in her death after her spay. Her lungs just couldn't cope.
There are so many different strains of pasturella, twenty something I think. Most rabbits carry strains that just don't affect them but can affect others. I don't think your vet should have just sent Barney home with that comment, he should have talked to you about treatment, even if he wasn't willing to start it straight after the neuter. If you are worried about Barney's breathing I would recommend you take him to a good rabbit vet and have them listen to his chest and check what's going on.

Thanks Mandy, yes he is dumping and munching again which is great. Was a traumatic day yesterday! Thanks for the article it put my mind at rest a bit - I guess what I'm worried about is it developing into pneumonia but it says symptons include a very raspy breath which isn't the case. He has a post op check up on Fri so will make sure i ask about it then. Thanks. Jx

Cheers chloaster, that's really helpful. The vet did listen to his chest so hopefully she established then that it wasn't that serious?? I hope so. I know what you mean - I was really shocked when I found out she was refering to this and hadn't suggested any treatment. Maybe it's just not that serious but I did tell her I had concerns Barney had some breathing issues.

He has a post op check up on Fri so will definitely pick the vets brains about it.

Very sorry to hear about bilbo.

Jx

Is he on medication for it?
Did the vet say his chest sounded clear or not?
Does he have any discharge from his nose?

Hi, no i've only just got him. I had him neutered yesterday but the vet didn't suggest any treatment for pasteurella. She originally diagnosed it because he had a gooey eye. Then she listened to his chest and felt him up a bit :) etc.

He doesn't seem to have the classic sneezing, wheezing symptons. Just a runny eye and this strange breathing...

vet didn't say anything about chest - and i didn't ask because I presumed 'the snuffles' was something daft and innocent that would go away with TLC.

Its usually treated with antibiotics and can get really serious. But some buns have it and it never completely goes - just flares up from time to time, often as a result of stress, changes in temperature etc.
Hard to say how serious it is without more info.
I would want to go back and ask the vet more questions.
Mouth breathing and thick, white nasal discharge are both bad signs that need treatment.

Shame the Vet didn't do a Chest X-ray whilst he was under GA for his neuter.......

A Bun should not 'move' with each breath (apart from their ribcage of course!!)

If Barney were my Bun I would want the Vet to establish if Barney has increased lung sounds (indicating inflammation/infection)
I would also expext the Vet to listen to Barney's heart. Although one assumes this was done in the pre op' check......

Perhaps you could discuss your concerns again with the Vet when Barney goes for his check-up. In the meantime you do need to keep a close eye on him as stress (ie from a GA) can exacerbate 'snuffles' or Pasteurellosis.
Any sneezing, even WITHOUT nasal discharge, and I would get him back to the Vets ASAP

Janex :)

Thanks Jane, very helpful. Will make sure the vet gets a proper drilling about this. In the meantime I haven't taken my eyes off him all day. He seems to be ok - a lot of sitting still and feeling sorry for himself but I presume this is normal after his op? However there is a slight but definate head nod with each breath - noticable when he sits still. Will keep watching him...

Jx

Because buns must breathe through their noses, any build up of mucus etc in the nasal passages, can make breathing a bit more difficult - think how it is for you when you have a cold. As well as antibiotics, there is a powder called bisolvon which can be given, this thins the mucus so helps it to drain away and makes it easier for the bun to breathe; I'd say this is another thing worth asking your vet about when you talk to her about your bun.

Good luck!!

Back