• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit recovery after molar surgery

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but was after some advice. My two dwarf lops both had to have surgery on their molars yesterday :(
Bobby is 2 1/2 and Lola is 3. He was worse as he doesn't eat hay or grass. Got them home last night and Bobby hasn't eaten anything in 12 hours, Lola ate a little broccili. Took them back down the vets this morning and they've both been admitted as they are really concerned about Bobby.

I've been giving them their medication (Zantac and Baytril) but still they haven't eaten or really been themselves.

Vet mentioned something about a fibre paste and I've looked on the internet this morning and discovered Protexin Fibreplex which is a possibility.

Anyone had any experience with any of the above. Any advice would be grateful.

A worried bunny mummy.

When my Fiver had dental surgery he had lost lots of weight and his insides were in a right mess, we put him on Bio Lapis Probiotic which we mixed in his water...he liked the taste as it was gone in a few hours and it helped get his gut moving again.

I have also heard good things about the paste you mentioned.

Did they have their molars burred or removed? Or do they have infections too?

Were they given a painkiller after their ops? They might be reluctant to eat because of a sore mouth after the surgery.

When Evo had a dental last week, he was given a painkiller after the op, and I requested more the day after on his post op check to keep him eating until his mouth was a bit less sore.

I phoned the vets for an update and they said that neither of them have eaten any pellet food or hay so they've had to syringe critical food paste - not sure if it's Protexin yet but they've said that we have to do that for a few days until they feel ready to eat normal food again.

Bobby had a Metacam (pain relief) injection yesterday and they've boosted it today along with another anitbiotic. Again I have to syringe these over the next few days.

They've also recommended keeping them in so they are warm.

They forgot to mention that when operating on Bobby yesterday they cut into a blood vessel in his mouth, hence the additional pain relief and antibiotic injections today. No wonder he's not eating, his mouth probably hurts like hell.....I know what I'm like after the denitst!

I've noticed that Bobby's eye is a bit weepy too??

first the weepy eye is related to the dental probs..
Ask the vet to give a gut motility jab..metaclopromide or if youre very lucky they may have some prepuslid floating around( its been banned for human use for years but tis the best gut motility stuff for buns on the market)
i always give them metacam after a dental if the vet doesnt give it..demand it! it lasts for 6 months once opened and is very handy after dentals any ops..you need to rehydrate them too..ask for lectade or if they sell it..bio lapis as you can makeit up as a solution like the packet says..then syringe it down as often as poss..also make up some science rabbit recovery and mix it with purred baby food..bif loves apple and pear pudding by hipp! Aslo if you can get it locally from a vets then protexin profibre is wonderful stuff!
Bif is usually bad after a dental..and unable to eat for days..this time she was wonderful;..never seen her like it..and i gave her the metacam and the profibre stuff..she was eating by herself when i watched her..and hay too by bedtime she was having a good ole munch away..unheard of!
why doesnt your bunny eat hay or grass? it may be due to a dental prob.now the teeth are done its time to remove the peelts bar a small amount and provide loads of fresh hay..not the pet store stuff.its not nice for buns! Mine a dore bunn basics timothy hay grass 2nd cut.i give them apile of meadow hay and put the timmy hay on top as a reward for eating the other hay first then they get as much as theyll eat. they wont touch other hays and its been toow et for grass,..and theyre not keen onthe dried grass..

tempt buns with wet greens..spring greens rinsed but not dried and a little parsley/dandelion/etc to get the juices flowing tumywise..also give some infacl if theyre tummy is gassy..gi stasis is the biggest problem amongst bunnies whove had general anaesthetics and dentals..thats when the gut slows right downa nd doesnt move enough for the food to go around the tummy then the tummy gets gassy and swollen and they dont eat and it gets worse and worse..the trick is to break the cycle and win the day!
i found the fibre plex worked better with bif than the bio lapis did..its the addition of fibre that she needed.
id recommend it thoroughly.

Well my little babies stayed in doors last night, not too warm but warmer than outside. Didn't we have a laugh trying to feed them.

We've been given 200g of Oxbow Critical Care Food to be syringe to Bobby 5ml 5 times a day. I've left a watery mix of it in a bowl as he seems to like it.

Lola is nearly back to herself, she's eating greens and spinage though no hay yet.

Bobby just doesn't seem to like hay or grass. He eats the pellets and the normal carrots, greens and apples but for some reason he's not a hay eater. I bought some Alfalfa Hay from the vets but still nothing. I'm only thankful that he likes the Critical Care Food otherwise he wouldn't be getting any food.

We've been told to still give them Baytril twice a day, Zantac once a day and Metacam just for Bobby. He's not liking Metacam on leafs at all, so i put a drop in with the Critical Care Food and he was none the wiser!

I might try the Hipp baby food - to be honest I really don't want him to stay on the syringe food for too long - I'm worried he'll never eat normally again.

Bobby's taken a turn for the worse

Over the weekend we've had to syringe feed Bobby and at first he loved it, really loved it, but last night and this morning he's refused it and has been so subdued.

The vet has just left a message to say that they are keeping him in overnight as they've given him a high doesage of medicine and that he stomach is in a gastric status, which was what they were dreading.

He's now gone home and the reception can't find his notes......what does gastric status mean? I know I'm going to get a horrid call in the morning, I don't want him to be in pain but I have no idea what they are doing to him.

Gastric statis just means his guts have stopped moving.

I'm sure the vet will be giving him fluid, food, pain relief and a gut stimulant.

They can come back from this but it take a lot of hard work to get them eating and pooing again. They have to eat to keep their guts moving, if they dont eat their guts shut down. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and sweet wee Bobby.xx

Thank you Nicole.

Sadly the vet called and said Bobby has deteriorated and they are going to give him until tomorrow morning.

It's so sad and it really upsets me that he might be in pain or all alone.

Back