• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barley having Eye Surgery U/D Tues 20/3

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
My beautiful Barley bun is have an eye op this morning :cry:
She's my French Lop X who lives with Alex my NZ white. I cleaned all buns & fed them all last night, & went to give them their Good-night nose-rubs. Barley didn't move away, but just flinched when i touched her nose. She'd been eating fine, so I just gave her a quick check over, then went up for bath & bed.

Kept thinking about her though - when i went back down at about 1am, I checked her over again. Her right eye had a tiny bit of discharge at one side - clear, but when i touched it, it obviously hurt. Her eye socket kind of looked "wrong" - it's hard to explain, but kind of mishapen - compared to other eye. Whizzed her up to emergency vets. Vet suspects an abscess or infection BEHIND the eye. She had pain killers & antibiotics & some eye drops - I brought her home cos she would be more comfy - but she went back first thing. This morning her eye was all gunky, & she's been rubbing it. She was hunched over & clearly in pain :( She hid from me when I walked in, & Alex was agitated too :cry:

So spare vibes please & any advice you have - cos I've not had much experience with ill buns.

Lots of vibes for Barley.

Asbeau the tri dutch who was on rabbits in need had this I believe, I didnt know it was possible until I read the thread.

Hope she is OK. X

Barley has an abscess :( She's still in surgery at the min. Vet's gonna ring me as soon as they out...not sure if they can save her eye :cry:

Oh no I am sorry,my friend has got two bunnies with eyes missing, one off each bunny. One of those was because of and abcess, so may not be all bad. senidng more vibes.. XXXX

Alice had an abscess behind her eye but unfortunately had to have her eye removed. Buns can adapt very quickly to only having one eye and their fur soon grows over. The aftercare is tough for a little while, but is definately worth it.

Sending lots of good luck to you.

Gemma xx

Back