• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Glowing vets report for my two! :D

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Just got back from the vet - I took both Jen and Frankie in, so that Frankie could have a general health check and get registered with my vet :D

The vet checked them both over as they are recently bonded and he gave them both a full bill of health. He was really nice about their teeth - he looked at Frankie first and said 'now that's what a rabbit's teeth should look like!' and then he looked at Jen and said 'another perfect set of teeth!' :lol: I was stupidly proud of them :lol: :love: They are both fab at eating hay and clearly it makes all the difference :D

Both of them also are perfect weight and have plenty of muscle tissue :love: I'm sooooo pleased! :D

The only thing that did come up was that some of Jen's claws at the back are worn right down (one right to the quick :cry: ) - the vet suggested I move their run off the concrete and onto something softer. Thing is, my garden is all paving slabs :?

Would a big off-cut of lino under the run do the trick or would that be too slipperly? They have been binkying like mad today and with the good weather have been out in the run a lot, so I'm not surprised their claws are right down :oops:

Any other ideas please? :?

Thats my boy!

Our vet was very complementary about his teeth too, when I told him how much hay he eats he said "well that explains it".

I didnt know concrete could wear claws down that badly, all my runs are on slabs cuz they are easier to clean, safer and because they keep the claws trim. She must be a very active bunny. :D

Mine are on concrete but they tend to scatter hay/straw about so I guess they don't get quite as much wear. They're a little bit older so more sedate.. sometimes.

Anything should help, so a scattering of straw, bit of lino, I think someone brought some rubber matting. Just make sure if it's not safe to chew the edges are outside the run ;)

They have both been running round like utter mad things the last few days - earlier they both tried to binky at the same time and nearly collided mid flight! I think they can sense spring in the air :D :lol:

Tamsin said:
Mine are on concrete but they tend to scatter hay/straw about so I guess they don't get quite as much wear. They're a little bit older so more sedate.. sometimes.

Anything should help, so a scattering of straw, bit of lino, I think someone brought some rubber matting. Just make sure if it's not safe to chew the edges are outside the run ;)

Thanks Tamsin :thumb: I think I'll try the lino - I should be able to get a big offcut fairly cheaply somewhere and I can just hose it down to clean it.

Off subject I know but I just remembered who Frankie is! Sooz took him in a while ago, and I remember that picture of Frankie on the bed..:lol:

Glad your two got good feedback! I'll be taking Princess (name of my new girly bun :lol:) to the vets a week on friday after she's settled in and getting her Myxi vac. :D

Morrigan1981 said:
They have both been running round like utter mad things the last few days - earlier they both tried to binky at the same time and nearly collided mid flight! I think they can sense spring in the air :D :lol:

aawwwww so glad they are both happy and healthy! :D

Thats great news !!! Funny with Fudge and frankie being brothers and Frankie teeth are great and Fudges are not :( :(
Did your vet give you and age on frankie ?
My vet told me Fudge was around 2 1/2 -3 years old but thought more to the 3 years .. I was quite surprised because I thought he was 1 year younger than my vet said.

My vet thought Frankie was about 2yrs, which fitted with what I thought too (1-2yrs). I don't imagine it's very easy to tell with rabbits though! (do they go on the basis of what their teeth look like? :?)

I was thinking of Fudge when I asked the vet to check that Frankie's teeth were OK (thinking it might be a genetic thing) but they were fine. Is Fudge good with eating his hay? Frankie and Jen are going through mountains of the stuff together, I've never known a bun love hay as much as Frankie does and I thought Jen was keen! :shock: :lol:

Sparky said:
Off subject I know but I just remembered who Frankie is! Sooz took him in a while ago, and I remember that picture of Frankie on the bed..:lol:

Glad your two got good feedback! I'll be taking Princess (name of my new girly bun :lol:) to the vets a week on friday after she's settled in and getting her Myxi vac. :D

Awww, can't wait to see more pics of Princess :love:

Yep, Frankie was indeed Sooz's foster for a while! :D My OH and I met Frankie for the first time though back in Jan when we collected him from Elaine in Manchester and brought him over to Sheffield for Sooz. We did the bunny run from Sheffield to BARC too, so he's probably spent longer in our car than any other bunny :lol:

It's funny cos when we were bringing him over the Penines I was coo'ing over him and my OH said then that I wanted to keep him then I should, but I've already decided to try Jen with Harley and I knew I couldn't have Frankie on his own :oops: Funny how things work out though.

I was thinking yesterday how ironic it was that after all his travels Frankie ended up with you any way.

He and Jen look great together. :D

Morrigan1981 said:
The only thing that did come up was that some of Jen's claws at the back are worn right down (one right to the quick :cry: ) - the vet suggested I move their run off the concrete and onto something softer. Thing is, my garden is all paving slabs :?

Would a big off-cut of lino under the run do the trick or would that be too slipperly? They have been binkying like mad today and with the good weather have been out in the run a lot, so I'm not surprised their claws are right down :oops:

Any other ideas please? :?

I got some rubber matting for my run, and it's a dream to clean :love: :love: :love: Mhairi my mini rex was in danger of getting sore hocks ( they were red and scabby looking, but the skin not broken ), my run was on slabs and this was causing the problems. Now the matting is down her hocks are getting better.

I'll pm you the link.

Morrigan1981 said:
Sparky said:

Awww, can't wait to see more pics of Princess :love:

Yep, Frankie was indeed Sooz's foster for a while! :D My OH and I met Frankie for the first time though back in Jan when we collected him from Elaine in Manchester and brought him over to Sheffield for Sooz. We did the bunny run from Sheffield to BARC too, so he's probably spent longer in our car than any other bunny :lol:

It's funny cos when we were bringing him over the Penines I was coo'ing over him and my OH said then that I wanted to keep him then I should, but I've already decided to try Jen with Harley and I knew I couldn't have Frankie on his own :oops: Funny how things work out though.

I can remember seeing the pics of him on the bed and thought how gorgeous he was. :D He's absolutely beautiful! I always said I'd never have a nethie - Princess is a nethie/chin cross. I guess you fall in love with who you fall in love with, and it just can't be helped.

I'm glad things are working out ok between you and your buns. After I lost Bobby I got Peanut - who was fine for about a month and has now taken a very distinct hate towards my legs. If I walk around the house in PJ's with short bottoms, he bites me! :lol: But I wouldn't replace him for the world.

Back