• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Barney won't eat...?!

Hi guys, thanks for all your support earlier on - it really helped me.

Just picked Barney up. His op (neuter) went well but he won't eat a thing. Vet didn't exactly fill me with confidence about his condition. Very worried... AGAIN.

Anyone have experience of this? The vet said he has to eat something soon - I've asked her to ring me before she leaves work so we can discuss what to do if he still hasn't touched his food.

How long did your bunnies take to start eating again?

Thanks. Jx

Glad Barney's op went ok :)

Try tempting him with all his fave food, herbs are usually a favourite,

You could also soften his pellets offer those to him

the stress can sometimes make them slow to eat - but has he had some pain relief? One of my buns is a complete wuss, & despite being a bit of a fatty :oops: , slightest thing makes he stop eating.

If he's had pain relief, I'd just keep him warm & encourage him with treats - apple, banana, grated carrot etc. He might settle in his own surroundings. If he DOESN'T start eating, you may need more pain relief, & to syringe feed him (mash pellets up in warm water) - but that's quite stressful too - is he pooping? The main risk is he goes into stasis - cos buns are designed to be eating all the time.

When Pippa was spayed she didn't eat anything until the next morning, although she did have a drink of water. I tempted her eventually with grated carrot and cucumber

Most of mine have started eating with in two hours of being home, usually veg first so we give them finely cut spring greens and grated carrot.

Marley took longer to eat and wasnt eating enthusiastically again for several days but he did suffer a minor infection in his plumbs.

Thanks guys.

Yes he's had pain relief. The vet also said - just spoke to her - that he'd had an injection for gut stasis. I've now got some liquid food. I'm to feed him a full syringe every half an hour (going to be a long night) Problem is i can't get him out of his box...

Do you think it's best to pick him up from his box and risk stressing him more in an effort to feed him?

Cheers, Jen x

I had my bunster neutered a couple of weeks back and it took him 2 days to eat, at first he'd only have bits of banana, dried raisins and a little hay.

I know treats aren't great all the time but I think it's a bit like us with our comfort food when we're feeling a bit off!

I'm sure he'll be fine. Lots of 'feel better soon' vibes coming his way!

MarleyMoo's mum!

Squidgy had his op two weeks ago, and it was traumatic!
He ate as soon as he came home, but only veggies and grass. He pooped as soon as he came home, but then stopped for almost 24 hours :shock: He was right as rain after about 3 days though.
Our vet is great, and had given pain relief and a gut stimulant after the op. I took him back the following day, as I was worried about the lack of poop, and she repeated the pain relief and the gut stimulant. It sounds like your vet has done the right thing.
One thing that helped Squidgy was to keep him warm. We don;t have a snugglesafe, so I wrapped a hot water bottle in an old towel and he sat near to or on that for quite a while.
I'm sure he'll be back to normal soon.

Is squidgy an outdoor rabbit? Barney is living in the house. I read somewhere that I shouldn't put the central heating on in his room for at least 24 hrs - this true?

He just ate the tiniest bit of carrot (I may try some banana in a minute) Still not sure whether I should disturb him and get this liquid food down him? What you think?

Jen x

I think thats if you bring an outdoor bunny in after the op for 24 hours to keep warm. Having the heating on means its harder for them to go back out into the cold.

Hi. If Barney is normally an indoors bunny then keep the heating on. He needs to be kept warm. If he's nibbling at bits and pieces he should be OK for now. Has he pooped or had a wee since he came home?

Cool thanks I'll keep the heating on as normal.

He's had a tiny bit of carrot but that's all - he won't eat the banana unfortunately.

I don't know whether he's pooed - again it means getting him out and risk stressing him out. I think I may have to for my piece of mind though...

Jx

Ok, lifted him out and syringe fed him. He was surprisingly calm - no kicking etc but looked pretty startled. No poos in box so I think i'll have to do it again in half an hour... if anyone has any more advice I'd be glad to hear it. Will probably be up all night! Jx

Keep us posted. Some buns recover more slowly than others. Have you seen him drink? If not, and he's used to using a bottle try putting a bowl down for him. Meanwhile try to tempt him wih apple, pear, carrot etc

Hey

Thanks for all the advice last night. He gave us both a shock this morning because he hadn't touched his food and still no poos. I thought he was on the mend in the evening because he had started nibbling so I went to bed in the hope all would be fine.

Anyway we syringe fed him some more this morning - still looked very miserable. I was panicking and packing his box to get him to the vet when all of a sudden he did a miniscule dump on the floor. I've never been so happy to see a piece of **** in all my life. Then a moment later the vet rang. She said that it was a great sign and that i should go and get him some herbs to tempt him

I've just got back in. There's dump and mess everywhere. Now he's happily munching on a bunch of parsley! Wohoo! Nightmare over.

Many thanks again. Will post some pics of Barney soon...

J & B

What a weird and wornderful existence we rabbit owners have....So often our happiness depends on poo sightings :lol: Glad to hear he's turned the corner!!

Back