• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is very poorly

jules8305

New Kit
Hi, I am new to this forum but have just had to leave my rabbit at the vets. I am very worried about him as he is very poorly and have come here for some advice. Noah was fine until last night when i went out to put him and his missus away and he kind of did a roll over all still like he was dead, he wasnt though and although he didnt seem himself he was responsive and had a nibble of food and a clean of himself. To cut a long story short, today he got a lot worse and i had to take him to the vets as an emergency, the vet told me he is very poorly and they suspect its a blood clot in his legs. They have him in an incubator with oxygen and a drip and are going to give him some pain relief and medication to see if he improves. It broke my heart seeing him like that, i am extremely worried, my rabbit lady has never heard anything like it and she is practically an expert. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on this if you have known of blood clots in rabbits before.

Thanks
Julie

Hello Julie, im sorry to hear that your bun isn't well, could you give us a little more inforamtion? How old is he? is it just his rear end which has gone floppy or all of him? do you know if he has eaten anything unusual at all?

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Hes 1 just, hes a dutch and lives in a hutch in a shed with a run to the side.

To me it seems all of him was slightly floppy not necessarily just his back end, apart from he was holding his head up and just seemed very lathargic.

I am really worried, i've got to phone at 5 and see how he is getting on and i have booked tomorrow off work so i can be here if i'm needed, i just wanted her to say he's going to be alright but she didnt look too positive.

If he has eaten anything unusual its not anything we have given him. The vet asked if he had had any sort of trauma, as in a fall from the hutch but the hutch is 2 inches off the ground, the only things i can think of are that his girlfriend is a lot bigger than him and tends to think she can lie on him, and he had his myxi injection last week for the first time, i dont know if that would have anything to do with it?

I haven't got any experience of blood clots in rabbits but I would just like to offer some healing vibes for Noah. I know how horrible it is leaving your rabbit at the vets.

hmm there are many reason why a bun would suddenly go lethargic. Was he vaccinated for VHD? have you noticed if he has been passing feaces properly and they are his normal size? di his tummy feel hard at all? and was he drinking?

He hasnt had his VHD yet because the vet said to wait 2 weeks after the myxi so its not too much at once.

He was drinking last night but not today, i tried to get him to and his tummy feels normal and soft. His poo's were fine, normal pellety ones. His mood had just completely changed and his breathing was a little panty and fast. He was very clingy.

I'm worried.

Julie i can't think of anything from your description which would cause his current condition, perhaps someone else will be able too, I think it will be down to your vet to find out. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious xxxx

Back