• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit litter traning probs

john g

New Kit
our fist rabbit Fudge seamed to take to his tray in two days we watch him drink and picked him up and placed him on it the strocked him for a bit he got it with in a week. he was 6mth he is now nearly tow

we recently got FiFi she is a recue and almost identical to fudge both netherland dewafs. she is 2years old and was at the rescue for 5mth.

we set her cage up as we did fudge food in one corner water in another some fleace in another and a corner litter tray in another.

she seams to like weeing in the middle of the cage which is wired as i thought she would have picked a corner

i have tryed putting hay on the litter tray the wee socked bedding and when cleaning the hutch spraying with viniger and not rincing where i dont want her to wee.

I know she is older and old dog new tricks and that but would think putting the tray in the middle will help or any other ideas

Putting the tray in the middle would help a lot, yes. Remember that all buns are different. If you've only had her for a while its very likely she's marking her territory by weeing wherever she smells something that doesn't smell like her.

She'll chose where she pees, not you. If she wants to wee in the middle, she will, whether the litter tray is there or not! She's chosen her spot, so now you just have to put the tray there and she should start peeing in it :lol:

cheers i thought that might be the answer she did mark the hutch when we first put her in it

i will try and keep u informed

My first bun Bobby was a natural - he peed in the litter tray for the day I took him home. He never weed anywhere else, not even once. And then earlier this year I got peanut, and he is a very stroppy little boy. He went through a phase at first where he would literally pee EVERYWHERE so what I did (but this will only workwith a free range bun) was cover the floor to his room in newspaper and whenever he peed I picked up the dirty paper and put it in his litter tray. I made the space that was covered in Newspaper smaller every day - and he always peed on the paper. At the end, there was no paper, just the litter tray (which is full of ripped up newspaper) and he just went in there from then on, with a few little accidents on the wooden floor but never on the carpet after that. He likes to move his litter tray around aswell, but he really just shoves it around with his nose :lol: The new girly bun I got yesterday has yet to have an accident but she's only really been wandering around my room for a couple of hours. She's going back in her cage soon, because I have to go out and I don't trust her enough to leave her on her own :p

Oh, and Peanut will NOT pee on hay! He has his hay in a rack now, because he wouldnt eat it from the litter tray, and he wouldn't pee in there either. He'd just sit at the side of it (not in it) and eat!

Back