• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spare hutch dilema...

kiri

Warren Scout
Well, I have a dilema.
I have been given a two tier hutch by a friend and a folding run. Initially I was just going to take it to a rescue, but after doing a bit of DIY on it and looking at it in the garden I really want to keep it for fostering. I don't want any more rabbits of my own so I thought fostering would ne a nice idea, I'd love to have the chance to look after a mother and babies but I don't think deliberate breeding is a good idea for me, I'd feel a bit selfish.
The thing is Ive got a bit more time on my hands right now but will busy up a bit more come september, when I start my animal care and managemet degree (Im 23 with my own home so theirs no parents or risk of me moving and getting rid)
So right now Id have plenty of time to put effort into finding good homes for foster rabbit/s.

What do people think? Should I get rid of the hutch asap to stop my temptation or help a rabbit needing a home?

And if fostering is a good idea who could I foster for? I would pay for all the 'running' costs but couldnt afford to pay for a spay/neuter.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea???? Help! :D

Have you contacted local rescues to ask if they need any help?
It would probably be best to have rescue back up if you are starting fostering.

Im in stoke-on-trent, I do support a small local rescue but I'm not sure if fostering is an option there. Lack of funds would mean Id need to pay any emergency vets bills myself.

Tupperware queen I think your the only other person on the forum from around here!

Its about 40-50mins drive to walsall from here so they might think its too far? I'll think I'll look into it.

There's one in Leek that might need a hand, other than that, I think the closest one is Jill (Honeybunny) in Leicester :)
I'm just down the road from Stoke :D

Yeah I know of the one in leek, I take food and stuff down there from time to time, my second bunny came from him. I'm hoping to go down on saturday to help clean and stuff. Its an unusual situation at bills recue though. I might speak to him about it.

I now have 2 spare hutches, a two tier and a single guinea pig hutch.
I think at the moment maybe I need to resist temptation and just continue to fundraise and do up hutches for the rescue. I'd planned to get up early this morning before work to spend an hour with the buns, my alarm didnt go off so I was late to work and no bunny time till this evening =( maybe I need just to concentrate on my own fluffys atm. Such a difficult decision. :(

Back