• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny From RSPCA?????

weepeep50

Alpha Buck
We found a lovely boy called Dexy at our local RSPCA in Exeter. Thought he was just right for Poppy who at almost 6, recently lost her mate. Anyway, they are coming to do a home check this afternoon and I am hoping that the shed, which I spent all day Monday preparing, will be acceptable. We thought the RWA recommended 'Thistle Hall' from Pets at Home would be ok, but at just under 5 feet long, it turns out not to be big enough, and, in fact, we need a 6 foot hutch for 2 bunnies. So after paying just under £200, it looks like we are going to have to invest in a bigger hutch. Can't really afford that just now, so I really am hoping they will accept the shed as a temporary home.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.
It's a shame that the RWA are endorsing hutches that are in conflict with the Aniwal Welfare bill guidelines. Hopefully that issue will be addressed shortly.
How big are your buns? My 2 pairs of 2 live in 5 foot hutches and have supervised exercise in the garden so I don't feel that their hutches are too small (they are very small bunnies though).

weepeep50 said:
We found a lovely boy called Dexy at our local RSPCA in Exeter. Thought he was just right for Poppy who at almost 6, recently lost her mate. Anyway, they are coming to do a home check this afternoon and I am hoping that the shed, which I spent all day Monday preparing, will be acceptable. We thought the RWA recommended 'Thistle Hall' from Pets at Home would be ok, but at just under 5 feet long, it turns out not to be big enough, and, in fact, we need a 6 foot hutch for 2 bunnies. So after paying just under £200, it looks like we are going to have to invest in a bigger hutch. Can't really afford that just now, so I really am hoping they will accept the shed as a temporary home.

Would you mind if I copy your post to someone I know in the RWA ?

Janex

Do you know, this really annoys me. I personally think Thistle Hall, if sold with an attaching run is huge compared to the majority of hutches on the market (I thought it was just short of 5ft anyway?) In fact I can't think of anywhere apart from the internet/ebay where you can buy bigger and it's not fair that someone spends that much and are then told it's not suitable :x Not everyone has access to the internet either. If the RWA endorse it, it should be suitable and if it isn't suitable they shouldn't endorse it. Perhaps the RSPCA and Rescues should get together to produce some 'RSPCA endorsed hutches' so people don't 'waste' their money.

This would put a lot of people off getting rescue buns and they'll simply return to P@H and buy a rabbit or two, and who can blame them?

kayjay said:
Do you know, this really annoys me. I personally think Thistle Hall, if sold with an attaching run is huge compared to the majority of hutches on the market (I thought it was just short of 5ft anyway?) In fact I can't think of anywhere apart from the internet/ebay where you can buy bigger and it's not fair that someone spends that much and are then told it's not suitable :x Not everyone has access to the internet either. If the RWA endorse it, it should be suitable and if it isn't suitable they shouldn't endorse it. Perhaps the RSPCA and Rescues should get together to produce some 'RSPCA endorsed hutches' so people don't 'waste' their money.

This would put a lot of people off getting rescue buns and they'll simply return to P@H and buy a rabbit or two, and who can blame them?

I completely agree with you

Janex

If the RWA endorse it, it should be suitable and if it isn't suitable they shouldn't endorse it.

This is interesting not least because the RWA say that they do not approve or endorse any hutches! Hutches which meet certain size criteria (I'm not sure if thistle hall fits that criteria) are allowed to state something along the lines that it meets the size requirements of the RWA though. I have brought your concerns to the attention of the RWA as I'm sure they would wish to know if people are being misled by wording on a product.

AlisonA said:
If the RWA endorse it, it should be suitable and if it isn't suitable they shouldn't endorse it.

This is interesting not least because the RWA say that they do not approve or endorse any hutches! Hutches which meet certain size criteria (I'm not sure if thistle hall fits that criteria) are allowed to state something along the lines that it meets the size requirements of the RWA though. I have brought your concerns to the attention of the RWA as I'm sure they would wish to know if people are being misled by wording on a product.

Thanks Alison, I seem to remember it's in the literature that it mentions RWA approved hutches - perhaps it's P@H at fault rather than the RWA. It does need addressing though. A new member on here the other day was sold a rabbit along with a 3ft hutch, clearly not suitable, and luckily she's posted on here to see how to improve it for her rabbit however many other people don't as we know.

Maybe we should start a campaign for the ban of 3ft hutches completely and 4ft ones for rabbits :)

Lavendar Lodge is "RWA approved", but I bought this and took it back the next day (it was still boxed!) because in no way was it going to be big enough for my frenchie baby. I bought him a lovely 7 ft hutch from the local RSPCA (someone makes them for them) and he lives in this, with the free run of the garden when we are at home. Lavendar Lodge is a nice hutch, but when you take off the thickness of the sides, etc, the internal dimensions are a lot less than you initially think they are. Claire x

Well if Lavender Lodge does actually say "RWA approved" and the RWA say they don't approve hutches, then that sounds like something trading standards could potentially be interested in. If I get a chance to get out later (waiting to see what time the plasterer is coming!) I'll pop to our local PAH and see exactly what it says on their hutches there.

My local RSPCA has someone who makes hutches for them ..and as long as you buy one of their hutches they don't homecheck! :? :(

I adopted two rabbits last year from the RSPCA and I have Thistle Hall! When i was talking on the phone with the lady to book my homecheck i told her the dimensions of my hutch and she jotted them down. I stressed it was a double layer one. Then when the checker came to my house she walked outside to see the hutch and sighed a huge sigh of relief and said' thank goodness - I had only been told it was a small hutch - its double layer - they didn't tell me that'. ANd proceeded to go on about how happy the buns will be. She was worried she was going to have to turn me down.

Thistle hall is big enough and i am proof that at least one RSPCA will pass it.

Different RSPCA branches have different guideline some have a minimum 5'x2' others 6'x2'. The RWA minimum is 5'x2'.

Some of them can be a bit inflexible on different shapes even when the floor area is the same which annoys me more than the minimums varying.

Tam

I thought the Thistle Hall with a permanent run attached looked like a reasonable size. It's about the same size as my 2 foster room sections.

luvabun said:
It's a shame that the RWA are endorsing hutches that are in conflict with the Aniwal Welfare bill guidelines. Hopefully that issue will be addressed shortly.

Not strictly true....only conflicting this particular branch of the RSPCA! I'm not sure if the Animal Welfare Bill has actually drafted any specific accommodation sizes?

Tamsin said:
Different RSPCA branches have different guideline some have a minimum 5'x2' others 6'x2'. The RWA minimum is 5'x2'.

Some of them can be a bit inflexible on different shapes even when the floor area is the same which annoys me more than the minimums varying.

Tam

Thats what my branch did - their mimimum size was the 6 foot one, but because there were two levels they take that into account!

Although the RSPCA hutch minimum is larger the RWA run sizes is larger so:

RSPCA
Hutch: 6'2' = 12'
Run: 6'x3' = 18'
Total Floor Area = 30'

RWA
Hutch: 5'x2' = 10'
Run: 8'x4' = 32'
Total Floor Area = 42'

Personally I'd be happy with a very large (sheltered) run and a small sleeping box. My rabbit's have always made much better use of the run area than they have sleeping areas. Unless the run isn't perminantly attached to the hutch then I I don't think a 6' hutch is strictly necessary.

After all there isn't that much diff between a run and the living area of a hutch. It's easy enough to put a solid roof/protected side on a run.

Tam

Yes, I agree. My rabbits make far more use of the attached run rather than the hutch. 80%run, 20% hutch!

Cara

It would be so much easier if they just had simple guidelines like

x sq ft for one small/medium/large bun
x sq ft for two small/medium/large bun

and so on.

Had our home check, thought we were going to have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for verdict, but just had a call from the RSPCA and Dexy is ours. WHOOPPEE :!: :!: :!: We are so happy, he is so lovely and cuddly
Will have to wait until the weekend, though, as O/H works in Hampshire Weds and Thurs and we still have to construct a run at front of shed. I think they were impressed with how I set out the shed.
Jo :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back