• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lawn clippings

Jonny

Warren Scout
As the mowing season is now just around the corner, I was wondering whether it would be OK to give the buns in a few handful of freshly mowed grass, right after it's cut?

Lawn clippings start to ferment almost immediatly they are cut, if you do use them, they should be discarded within a maximum of 15 minutes after cutting to prevent bloat. Ideally it is best to avoid them totally, using hand shears to cut grass for buns is far better for them as this does not macerate the grass and will stay fresher longer without causing them problems.

Jonny said:
As the mowing season is now just around the corner, I was wondering whether it would be OK to give the buns in a few handful of freshly mowed grass, right after it's cut?

Please don't do this it could really harm your Bun - this is why I get riled at people (especially vets) spouting "grass Grass Grass" is good for you without any backup literature stating why and when to feed or not to feed and so much more....

I am going to lay down now and be cool - sorry!

i just hand pick a load before i mow hte lawn, for hte bunny and hte guineas. anything that might possibly upset tummnies(like grass startignt ferment) isnt a good idea really

In our old house with two sets of runs on the go I rarely needed to mow :wink: - new house however is different and as OH isn't keen on mowing always plenty of grass for them!

Caz

Back