• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is bloat?

Middy

Warren Scout
Hi all

Was very sorry to hear of Soad's loss of a bun due to bloat :( :(

I'm a bit naive, don't know what it is and how to tell that a bunny has bloat. Are there any signs to look for?

My newly bonded buns are fine but one is short haired and one is long haired and if they get to the stage when they are grooming one another, I worry that my rex will eat too much lop hair!!

Thanks
Middy

I believe bloat is when they get trapped gas in their intestines :?
They usually become quiet, cold ears, and stop eating.. you can sometimes feel balls of gas in their tummy or hear their tummy gurgling with the wind. They would also stop pooing.
Tummy massages and infacol can help a little as well as syringe feeding a rabbit mushed pellets and cool boiled water to keep their food and fluid intake up.
SOAD's bunny had a blockage which would have been alot harder to move.. i think bloat can also occur from something in their diet or shock/stress as well.
I tried searching on the net for some info but didnt get much.. anyway this is what i understand bloat is.. i could be wrong though :? :wink:

Gi statis is where the guts stop moving, this does not come as quick as bloat. Gi statis can take days to show signs, like poos getting smaller and not eating as much.

Bloat can come on very fast as it is just wind, but dangerous. Some times veg not usually fed like cabbage or fruit can cause a gassy belly. Any carbs that are not usually fed can upset the good bacteria in the gut and this can cause gas.

I hope that helped. :D

Here is an abdominal X-ray of a Rabbit with Bloat

A side view of the rabbit shows the distended stomach (arrow). You can see how large the abdomen is in relation to the chest. The lungs (L) are the dark triangle, the heart (H) is the round white object also in the chest, and the kidneys (K) are the two oval objects in the abdomen. The remainder of the abdomen to the right is made up mostly of the small and large intestines

LatDis.jpg

(Copyright Long Beach Animal Hospital)

And an account of Bloat in 'laymans language'

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.html

Janex

Great advice. The x-ray picture was useful as I know now where I have to rub - although hopefully I won't need to too. Thanks :D

On Dedember 29th i woke up and knew something was desperately wrong with my Bobby. We rushed him to the vets, and he was diagnosed with bloat. I knew he had a distended stomach because I had been sitting him on my knee trying to soothe him for some time. Bobby was really, really quiet, sitting hunched over, and he let me pick him straight up. He looked into my eyes with a look that told me he literally had hours to live. I was more or less hysterical, because Bobby was my baby. He meant the world to me, and he still does. No one will ever replace him.

The vet said they'd keep him in for two days, administer fluids etc. I got home, and got a phone call two hours later to say that Bobby had passed away. I have tears literally pouring down my face as I write this. Bobby waited until I wasn't with him to pass on. I bought him back home later that day and buried him. I really haven't gotten over his death and I don't think I ever will. I've also gotten very paranoid about my buns and I check their stomachs three times a day for any signs that it feels different.

RIP Bobby xxx

Back