• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CONJUNCTIVITIS

Victoria39

Mama Doe
Took Archie to the vet yesterday with weepy eyes. He hasn't had much luck recently - in December my friend's labrador forced his way through the solid door of the hutch and threw him around like a rag doll, luckily he was very shocked, no injuries thankfully and in January his brother died. Vet said he has conjunctivitis, have been given drops to put in twice a day and if he doesn't improve I will have to take him back to have his tear ducs washed out - ouch! Hope the drops will work as I don't fancy leaving him, never heard of blocked tear drops before. Just want to wrap him in cotton wool and hug him all day :rabbit2:

Hope the eye drops clear up the infection.
Blocked tear ducts can be caused by overgrown tooth roots pressing on the duct. So if your Bun needs a duct flush I'd get the Vet to check Bun's teeth at the same time

Janex :)

don't worry if he has to have his tear ducts flushed as it's a simple procedure. My bunny teddy has it done all the time and he doesn't get too stressed. my vet even does it while i wait and it only take about 5 mins.
Gettingbthe teeth checked as well is a very good idea as that is part of Teddys problem.

Thanks for the advice, I did suspect he may have teeth probs, the vet checked them out and she said they were ok. I am pleased to report the drops seem to be working (touch wood, fingers crossed, etc). Be glad when the weekend is upon us and I know which way we are heading :roll:

Unforunately the only way to see what the roots are doing is to x-ray, the vet can't tell from having a look in your buns mouth. I second what Jane says, if it becomes a recurring problem get him x-rayed just in case.

Back