• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh what a sad day, please help :(

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
My landlord finally let me have a partner for theo- hurrah. so off I went to jane dexters in warwick today for a speed dating session.

The and this lady bun called ''Cleo'' already named, got on quite well, touching noses but no grooming and one small fight- so we did the car journey thing. Put them in the same carry case in the car and they sat next to each other for an hour and didnt fight.

Cleo is a beautiful dutch lady and very affectionate, very placid- can put her where you like and she just stays.

We got back to theos territory and little Cleo has been a darling- putting her head down for theo to groom her etc but hes so skittish- when she moves he gets scared and runs away growling.

So we put a partition between theos run like this (sorry for big pic)
bond.jpg

but theo kept getting her through the bars so we put her back in bed. We are leaving it for tonight as theyve both had a stressful day but things were going so well this morning and now they just fight. Im going to try introducing them in the bath tomorrow. But please- can anyone help.

Maybe come over and help introduce them here. Im so sad but was ecstatic this morning, thought was love at first sight. How much fighting is normal. They are both opposite sex and neutered and under 12 months.Thanks all

It's probably a territorial thing, if everything was ok until back in Theo's territory - did you thoroughly clean and change everything around before putting them back in?

You really need to bond them somewhere that none of them class as theirs... What about your bedroom does Theo go in there often ?
You need things to distract them toys,boxes stuff like that..
Did any of them end up inured at all in the small fight ?

kayjay said:
It's probably a territorial thing, if everything was ok until back in Theo's territory - did you thoroughly clean and change everything around before putting them back in?

yes, did rearrange and sweep up poos etc but think hed chinned everything

You really need to introduce them in neutral territory and completely disinfect Theo's space before you let them back in there. I have read on here that washing with vinegar gets rid of any smells :D Also new toys and litter trays would help and move it all around so it looks a little different

karen354 said:
You really need to bond them somewhere that none of them class as theirs... What about your bedroom does Theo go in there often ?
You need things to distract them toys,boxes stuff like that..
Did any of them end up inured at all in the small fight ?

no injury- just a bit of lost undercoat.

I put them in the spare room, neutral territory- and they lay down for a while about 20 cm apart whilst i furiously stroked them to keep them still,
she relaxed on her side so he sniffed her

when he sniffed her- she sat up and he sh*t himself , grunted and ran off- this kep happening

Yes he will :D And its so lovely to watch when they finally decide they love each other and snuggle :lol: The best thing to do is leave them though and not keep seperating them as you are just starting back from scratch each time.

Yes, he'll calm down - just leave them together but be ready to seperate if they really fight. By seperating them now you'll keep going back to square one

Jane's rescue in Warwick

I was a Jane's today too ...we came to visit the two big black and white buns Kath and Kim ... Jane was running between the two of us and said she was helping with bonding ... I should have recognised Theo from this site!!

Hope it all goes well and they are all loved up soon ... they looked REALLY cute together.

Melanie

did you come with your O/H?

he he, thats weird- thins arent going well now!

theo has attacked her and me- hes been especially mean to me. I split them up this afternoon but have been stroking her and then him

but i stroked her and smelled of her and so he attacked me afterwards.

were you looking at the old couple?

Giants

Yes .. that was us looking at them and laughing that every carrier, litter tray, tube etc etc were all FAR too small for those big bunnies. Cant wait to get them ... we laid over a ton of concrete today to put the shed on ... then we can move the stuff out of the garage, built the bunny run and move them in!!

Hope it all goes well ... Theo looked like butter wouldn't melt this morning!

Melanie

Aww, don't give up. You do need to really scrub out Theo's pen though and get rid of his smell. I put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spritzed every thing in Jen's hutch (even the mesh!), left it to dry and then did the same again. Jen and Frankie still had a bit of chasing etc when they went in but they settled down and this morning they were snuggled up together when I went out with their breakfast :love:

The hardest thing I found was letting them get on with it and chase each other etc (even fur pull a bit) without intervening, but they were fine and after the first twenty minutes they settled down and were fine together :D

Morrigan1981 said:
Aww, don't give up. You do need to really scrub out Theo's pen though and get rid of his smell. I put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spritzed every thing in Jen's hutch (even the mesh!), left it to dry and then did the same again. Jen and Frankie still had a bit of chasing etc when they went in but they settled down and this morning they were snuggled up together when I went out with their breakfast :love:

The hardest thing I found was letting them get on with it and chase each other etc (even fur pull a bit) without intervening, but they were fine and after the first twenty minutes they settled down and were fine together :D

We have a RWA/RWF leaflet that says introduce them briefly but at the first sign of tension then split them up, and try later (my OH wants to stick to this)

But i believe the same as you, put them together and let them sort out their hierarchy but makesure no-one gets too hurt, They cant like ''really'' hurt each other in a split second- like they cant hit a vein or bite their eye out without leaving them for a few seconds. I can split them up- but not instantly if the do fight.

So a bit of grunting, jumping and running is normal?

Back