• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Vets Fees

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Now before I start I'd just like to point out that I would pay whatever it takes to keep my animals healthy and I have done but I just dont understand why Emergency vets fees are quite so excessive :?

This morning it cost £139.00 for Audrey to be seen, which included

Out of hours fees £94
Consultation £27
Treatment £18

How can this be justified? :? This is surely why some people delay taking their pets to a vet :(

I'm like you - what ever it cost, I would pay but completely agree it is so expensive.

£94 just for the out of hours fee :shock:

I do think it is a reason why people delay vet treatment. If you wait until the vet is open it is so much cheaper - just might be to late for the animal....

Was it the one in Dunkirk Mandy?

Barney's emergency fees last Sunday was £98 just to be seen. In total it cost £120. I was expecting it to be much more.

It is totally ridiculous as it make some people think that their pet could wait till Monday and some times thats just too late but I can see why people might try to wait.

yes it was Isabel...i just sent you a PM about it. So why was mine £19 more when they appear to have the same condition- ie) not eating :?

Audrey had metoclop, baytril and painkiler :?

can you claim any of that back on your insurance?

Thats ridiculous!!! We saw the most bunny-savvy vet in the world in an emergency case and it only cost £50!!! :shock: Sounds like you're being taken for a ride :x, Unless my vets are just very cheap! X

Our's seems to vary between £85-£100 which I presume depends on the time of day.

That is ridiculous :shock:
At a previous Vets I was once charged over £200 for a spay to be re-sutured (Bank Holiday) and they did it WITHOUT GA :shock:

Janex

Well I just thought Id ring and ask and it seems they have overcharged me by £25! The £95 price is for after 11pm.

Its still pretty bad though- especially as the emergency surgery is held at the PDSA which appeared to be open anyway- some people in the surgery were waiting for Vets Now emergency surgery, and others for normal PDSA appointments :?

I feel bad moaning about it though as I desperately want Audrey to be better :cry: - the receptionist did say they'll work something out though if i need to bring her back in and cant pay.

It does seem excessive.
When I had to take Bobby in, they quoted me £68, but actually only charged me £43 and that was including all meds. This was at 9pm and he had metoclop, painkiller and B12

The vets i go to now opens on a Sunday morning for three hours which i find good.Also opens till 5pm on a Saturday.

I think that's outrageous :x

How does insurance view the out of hours fees? I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying this, but I couldn't afford £100 just to be seen before treatment and at the moment my animals would have to wait until Monday. I've looked at getting insurance but with two rabbits it's about £16 a month and I'm not sure if it's worth it with £50 excess - or is it?

mandy said:
Well I just thought Id ring and ask and it seems they have overcharged me by £25! The £95 price is for after 11pm.

Its still pretty bad though- especially as the emergency surgery is held at the PDSA which appeared to be open anyway- some people in the surgery were waiting for Vets Now emergency surgery, and others for normal PDSA appointments :?

I feel bad moaning about it though as I desperately want Audrey to be better :cry: - the receptionist did say they'll work something out though if i need to bring her back in and cant pay.

So why did I get charged £98 then? They seem to make it up as they go along don't they. I'm hoping I'll get some back on insurance, got to sort out the form though, I hate doing forms!

Aww Mandy I deffo would complain. I just seem to be ripped off all the time with out of hours fees etc. Molly my GSD cost me £500 and she went to the vet at 10pm and came out at 6.30am. They did blood tests and xrays, thats all and I had to pay £400 up front before they even treated her. I would pay anything to help any of my animals but the out of hours fees are so excessive.

Im still too emotional to fill out the one lot of insurance forms out. :roll:

When we had to take Leo last year - not eating etc it was a sunday evening and we paid about £150. I think in Nottingham Vets Now have the monopoly on Out of Hours treatment because if you ring you normal vet it gets diverted to Vets Now which is at the PDSA.

I took my female rabbit to my sister's vet as they were half the price for spaying. She stopped eating while she was with my sister so she took her back. They told her she would need to stay in over the weekend so they could try to get her to eat. On the Sunday my other rabbit went to visit her and ended up staying with her.

I was so worried about the amount it was going to cost me as in Edinburgh the emergency vet is about £100 to step foot in the surgery.

When the rabbits came back on the Monday evening my sister told me to sit down - I was expecting about £400 - it wasn't even £40!

Seemingly the vets in that area do a rota where there is always someone to see, without it being ridiculously expensive.

It would be nice if animals had to be ill that they could wait till 9 am on Monday, but I think vets generally charge enough that they should be able to offer some out of hours service that is not bank breaking.

I also agree that charging seems to vary. My cat has an under active thyroid and needs regular check ups and tests - every time I go i get charged a different amount and no amount seems to match what they have on the price list.

daisylou said:
I also agree that charging seems to vary. My cat has an under active thyroid and needs regular check ups and tests - every time I go i get charged a different amount and no amount seems to match what they have on the price list.

Agree with you. My dog has a whole mountain of problems :roll: .

He has 4 different repeat prescriptions that I have to get from the vet, pay for and then claim back through insurance. Every bill is different though what I get never changes....... :?

It is terrible. £100 is hard enough for anyone to find and I imagine it does put some people off visiting till a week day.

IsabelM said:
mandy said:

So why did I get charged £98 then? They seem to make it up as they go along don't they. I'm hoping I'll get some back on insurance, got to sort out the form though, I hate doing forms!

i think yours was right - £98...the receptionist said it should have been that much for both the out of hours fee plus consultation (well she said £97 actually :lol: ) and then the treatment is extra.

Depending on what my vet says tomorrow I think I will complain.

Back