• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Behaviour

Gherkin

New Kit
I have had Bertie for about 3 weeks now and am wondering if all is normal. I have read that a bunny should have somewhere to hide and sleep. He has a lovely wooden bunny box with a nice flat roof. He has decided to sleep on top not inside - is this normal? He has also been desexed recently. I n the past week I have noticed that when I am sitting down reading he will come up and give me a slight nip on the finger. Is this aggressive or affectionate or is he being a typical male and wanting attention? Also he likes to sniff and scratch my jeans. Is he 'digging' or does he have a denim fetish?
Thanks for your help.

Sitting on top of his lovely snuggly box sound about par for the course!! Both mine use their box to sit on! He could just be investigating your finger..if he meant it as a real full-on bite believe me you'd know :lol: Digging at your jeans could just be him asking you to get out of the way. Have you had a look at the site which is all about rabbit behaviour and body language? If you google language of the lagomorph it'll come up. I thhink it's got the word muridae somewhere in the title

Having a box they can hide in if they need to makes them feel more relaxed. He know's there is somewhere safe to run to if 'prey' comes so he can be relaxed the rest of the time. Bunnies do like vantage points to sit on.

It sounds like he's a happy playful bunny - well done :)

hi Gherkin
we built an indoor cage for ours with a 2 and a half inch gap
underneath...guess where they went...yep, underneath!
they even had to go under side-on!
I guess the moral is wherever they are happy, so be it.

Neil-and-Maria said:
hi Gherkin
we built an indoor cage for ours with a 2 and a half inch gap
underneath...guess where they went...yep, underneath!
they even had to go under side-on!
I guess the moral is wherever they are happy, so be it.

mady won't sit in a box or hide really - she's a more distroy the box type of girl :lol:

Thanks for all that :D
As for the jeans thing - he will do it whether I am wearing them or not - We went for his first walk to day on his harness - i took a lot of bribery and a few nearly bitten fingers but all went well. I used to take my dog running but I never thought I would be doing laps of the park with a bunny.

Gherkin said:
Thanks for all that :D
As for the jeans thing - he will do it whether I am wearing them or not - We went for his first walk to day on his harness - i took a lot of bribery and a few nearly bitten fingers but all went well. I used to take my dog running but I never thought I would be doing laps of the park with a bunny.

Make sure he's up-to-date with his jabs if you are taking him out. Wild buns carry VHD & Myxi & he might risk coming into contact with it

Back