• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fucithalmic and Science Selective question...

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! Our new french lop baby had his myxi jab yesterday and I pointed out to the Vet that I'd noticed he'd had a slight runny eye for the last couple of days. The Vet said there was a slight conjunctivitis in one eye, so she's prescribed Fucithalmic eye drops for him as a precaution. Since we started using these yesterday, his eye seems more runny (just a clearish discharge). Just wondering if this is the actual drops causing this, as when you put them in they obviousing make the eye run. Has anyone used these drops and found this and did they clear up the condition? I obviously queried about the dreaded "teeth connection" to runny eyes, but she said at 11 weeks she would very much doubt this would be the cause. Any ideas please?

Also, re. Science Selective. Would this be OK to start feeding Humphrey? He has tried a couple of Teddy's and seems to love it. I've been feeding A&P Breeder/Grower pellets, but was wondering whether to change to SS? I notice the protein level is 14% in SS, would this be high enough protein for Humphrey whilst he is growing? Claire x :)

Fucithalmic can cause an temporary increase in discharge from the eye. But it may also be indicative of the nasolacrimal duct being blocked. Some info here

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/eyes.html

I believe that there are conditions effecting the eyes called ECTROPIAN and ENTROPIAN which French Lops have a congenital predisposition to. Put simply they are disorders of the eyelid which can effect tear drainage

I would be inclined to stick with the A+P Breeder pellets for now as I THINK they have a better nutritional balance for a growing Bun.

Janex :D

Thanks once again, Jane, for the advice! Humphrey's eyes don't seem too bad at all now. I think it may have been when I put the drops in, that some had just run out earlier. I read up on the eyelid disorders - at the moment I don't think he has either of these, touch wood. It may be it is something they can get when they are older? I did notice when I cleaned him out earlier, that the bale of hay I had was more dusty than usual. I'm wondering if these could have caused the eye problem? I've got another bale and this seems much better - I'll try him with that. Does mild conjunctivitis actually cause the eye to run or does it just cause a bit of redness? Claire x
P.S. Think I'll stick with the A&P then, like you said, at least until I've used it up, which will probably be for a couple of months.

minilops said:
Thanks once again, Jane, for the advice! Humphrey's eyes don't seem too bad at all now. I think it may have been when I put the drops in, that some had just run out earlier. I read up on the eyelid disorders - at the moment I don't think he has either of these, touch wood. It may be it is something they can get when they are older? I did notice when I cleaned him out earlier, that the bale of hay I had was more dusty than usual. I'm wondering if these could have caused the eye problem? I've got another bale and this seems much better - I'll try him with that. Does mild conjunctivitis actually cause the eye to run or does it just cause a bit of redness? Claire x
P.S. Think I'll stick with the A&P then, like you said, at least until I've used it up, which will probably be for a couple of months.

Conjunctivitis means 'inflammation of the conjunctiva' The conjunctiva is the thin, transparent tissue that covers the outer surface of the eye. If there is infection in the eye the conjuntiva becomes inflammed causing the redness. This also happens in cases of allergy (you should see my eyes when hay fever kicks in :roll: ) It also makes the eyes water. Very dusty hay is a likely source of allergen so maybe thats what set it off

Jane, it's been three days of applying the Fucithalmic drops and Humphrey's eye is still watering occasionally. Should I be concerned at this stage, do you think? I just hope to god it's not teeth problems - is this likely at 11 weeks of age? Feeling a bit paranoid at the moment! Claire x

minilops said:
Jane, it's been three days of applying the Fucithalmic drops and Humphrey's eye is still watering occasionally. Should I be concerned at this stage, do you think? I just hope to god it's not teeth problems - is this likely at 11 weeks of age? Feeling a bit paranoid at the moment! Claire x

Is it just the one eye? If so I guess allergies are less likely to be the cause as I would have thought both eyes would be effected :?
I would certainly mention 'tooth roots' to the Vet but I am not saying that is definately going to be the problem.
In the meantime I would suggest regular bathing of his eye (with a sterile saline solution) and after drying around the eye apply a bit of Vaseline. This will act as a protective barrier for the delicate skin and minimise the risk of the skin under the eye getting sore.

Janex

Thanks, Jane! It was both eyes to begin with, but just one was a little watery this evening. The discharge or water was slightly milky white. I'll carry on with the fucithalmic and see what happens. It's just the mere mention of "tooth roots" at the moment gets me in a major panic, after what happened with our darling Poppy! (Humphrey is eating mountains of hay and dried grass, though!) Maybe the fucithalmic takes a bit longer than 3 days anyway?? Thanks again, Jane! :) Claire x

minilops said:
Thanks, Jane! It was both eyes to begin with, but just one was a little watery this evening. The discharge or water was slightly milky white. I'll carry on with the fucithalmic and see what happens. It's just the mere mention of "tooth roots" at the moment gets me in a major panic, after what happened with our darling Poppy! (Humphrey is eating mountains of hay and dried grass, though!) Maybe the fucithalmic takes a bit longer than 3 days anyway?? Thanks again, Jane! :) Claire x

Good Boy Humph' keep munching the hay and dried grass. Oh, and ask your Mum to post a piccie of you PLEASE!!

It's possible for bunnies to have reactions to eye drops. We use fucithalmic when Barney needs it (he is off to the vet tomorrow to get checked out as his weep eye keeps coming back, possibly teeth problems), mostly becuase when we tried Tiacil it made the problem worse. Ouch!

Millky eye!

Hi! An update on Humphrey's eye. The right one now has a milky discharge - it was initially his left eye that had the mild conjunctivitis on Saturday. We are still treating with Fucithalmic and the left one appears clear now. Is the milky discharge a symptom of the actual conjunctivitis occuring in his right eye now? I presume we just keep on going with the Fucithalmic. Is a milky discharge part of the conjunctivitis? He's been on the eye drops since Saturday now. Thanks again! Claire x

millky eyes

hi there , one of our lads has to go to the vets to get his eye ducts flushed regularly , and there is often a milky discharge in the flushed liquid . the vet tells me that this is puss from an infection in the ducts . he also told me that it was common in lop ear breeds , so maybe there is an infection in humphreys ducts ?

Thanks, Richard1! I've been using the Fucithalmic drops for three days now. Have you used these and how long before an improvement? I'm wondering if the infection has spread from one eye to the other, or rather I've spread the infection by maybe touching the eye with the nozzle of the drops?? Claire x

millky eyes

Any time we have used the fucithalmic it has been an ointment which i applied once a day , for a week , which seems to do the trick . on occasions the vet has put buddster on a coarse of baytril to help clear up infection . if it does not get any better in a day or two i would ask the vet to check humphrey again .

Hi everyone! Well, Humphrey's eye seems better now, only a very occasional drip, but I think the actual drops may be causing this. I think Jane said they can cause a temporary increase in discharge anyway. I've been using them for five days now and have quite a bit left in the tube. Do you think it would be best to keep going for a few more days, to be on the safe side? Any advice greatly appreciated. Claire x

Back