• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits drool?

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
Took Muppet to the vets today for his post-neuter check. (All fine except him taking a flying leap off the vet's table :shock: )

In the car, I noticed the area between his nose and mouth was damp. Drool? Runny nose?

(He's been in the car before, mostly short trips to the vets, but also two long trips - one for 3.5 hours, one for 5. Before he's always been in his basket on the back seat so I've not been able to see how he is in transit. I've now got some straps so I can put the basket on the passenger seat so we can keep an eye on each other. So this is the first time I've noticed the damp patch. He always has seemed fine after a journey: a bit put out maybe!)

Could it be stress? I have a friend who's bun always has a wet patch around her nose after a car journey/vet visit.

it's probably stress from the car journey

when i took zeb to boarding a couple of weeks ago i thought he had suddenly developed really long teeth and snuffles! his mouth was wet through and there was drool allover my knee

as soon as we got out of the car though it stopped - i worked out that he really hates car travel.

Guess I'll have to test out whether it's vet stress or travel stress :?

He doesnt seem too bothered being in the car itself - after the vets, I left him in his basket whilst I popped into Tesco. When I came back he was quite relaxed and had eaten the bits of veg.

So I guess it's the car motion that he didnt like. Do rabbits ever get used to it? He's got more long journeys to go on, unless I board him.

Fionabun said:
Oh no! Archie does this when I cuddle him - I thought he liked me?! :(

Fiona x

My Pepper does this, but he only ever does it when he's snuggling up against the side of my neck. Its his way of saying he lovesme with sloppy kisses :lol:

I think buns with teeth probs sometimes drool - so you might want to keep an eye on his eating

His teeth are fine. Or least his eating is! :lol:

I'm hoping he'll adjust well to car trips, as i go away for the weekend every couple of months. He can come with me (and enjoyed it once we arrived last time) but apparently doesnt like the car. So if he doesnt seem to relax on the journey, I'll have to weigh up whether the benefits are worth the unhappy journey.

Back