• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big Bun litter tray ... what do you use?

Melanie

Young Bun
Hi

We are getting two big rescue buns in a few weeks ... they are gorgeous, :love: but quite big! John is building a big pen in the garage for their day home, and they will be in the house with us when we get in. The only trouble is they look too big for the litter trays I have seen :shock:. For those of you with big bunnies, what do you use as litter trays?

Any suggestions would be a big help.

Many thanks

Melanie

maybe try getting some correx from a sign makers to make one??? although they would probably knock them over or chew them... i'm pretty sure i have seen dog/large cat litter trays but i can't remember where, sorry.

You can get plastic dog beds and fill them with hay - our Jemima used to love hers :lol: Also, the underbed storage boxes are great for large litter trays :D
Or, if you can get to a car boot sale get a couple of baby baths :D

Mine use a storage box (about 8" tall). It has the advantage of having higher sides than a litter tray, so they can't pee over the side :roll: It can also be packed full of lots of yummy hay :D

I have 2 trays from bunny basics which are huge, much larger than my 2 need.

Image016.jpg

Image002.jpg

I don't know if you can see from these 2 pics how big they are. Nibs is a nethie and sox is a large dutch and they can both lie in it and you could still fit in 2 more bunnies lying down aswell. They have raised ends so they do accidently pee over the edge.

http://www.bunnybasics.net/ferplast-trio-litter-tray-p-128.html

They look like baby baths, so I suppose you could buy one of those instead?

Mx

big buns

hey i have a gaint bun 9kgs continental we tryed training but had none of it we uses a jackrussel size plastic bed with cat litter works well.but she lives out doors so no point :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone ... went to visit the buns today ... they are gorgeous ... can't wait to get them home!! I will have a look at the above ... the ferplast thing looks good.

Thanks

Melanie

i use the base from one of those covered cat litter trays (mine was £8 from P@H)

it stops lola, our frenchie, from peeing over the sides

having said that we have a space saving high back corner litter tray that i ended up using as a hayrack for lola - but i actually caught her using it as a litter tray the other day. somehow she jumped sideways into it and was wedged in, pulling hay from underneath her to eat it. very impressive!

I use the base from indoor rabbit cages that would be too small for them to live in as a house, such as those awful rody cages :D

i used the base of the giant cat carrier to stop bertie peeing over the sides of anything i gave him but he hurt himself jumping in and out of it on the rough edges..so back to the big litter pan..um nope peed up wall! back to the ferplast trio ones from bunny basics..this time i was very careful..NOT to overload the litter and to put hay at one end only..hes not had an over edge spillage for a hile now even with bif joining him for a wee instead of using her own!
ill see if i have apic but hes a big old boy weighing in at 7kg..french lop and solid as a brick outhouse!
i wont use anything else again..
in the bottom i put a layer of wood cat litter..then enough russell rabbit bedding to cover the pelelts andthen ahuge pile of hay t one end..very handy the raised ends! :lol:

Thanks everyone ... it looks like the Ferplast trio thing wins the day ... I looked on a web site today and it says it is 71cm ... hopefully more than enough room for two big buns ... famous last words!!

Melanie

My contis use litter trays from p @ h they were on offer when I got them and were £2 each, they're great, easy to clean and the lip can be opened to make cleaning easier.

We use a big giant green seed tray from B&Q!! :lol:

It is fab - and has a high back to keep their bums in and it also has yellow handles on the side and back for ease of carrying - perfect!

Much better than any of the bunny ones!!

bunnymadhouse said:
i use the bottoms off old large indoor cages

me too - I have 2 2ft 6 cages - I have chucked the wire & use the bases for litter trays for my giants & bonded 9 :D

Back