• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sooty is pulling out fur

powab

Warren Scout
A few months ago Sooty lost all the fur around his chest area, took him to the vets and he was given an antibiotic injection and a steriod cream to heal it up. However, all the fur grew back, but within a week or two all the fur was missing again. :?

I've checked him all over this morning and all the fur is missing again! :shock: But when I spoke to my mum, she said her and my sister had seen him pulling fur out himself? :? :shock:

Has anyone else experienced this? Why would he keep doing it?

It may be a 'behavioural' problem. Does he have a Bunny friend? Does he spend a lot of time alone?
I would take him along to the Vets again to make sure there is no physical problem. Sometimes Buns that cant reach their Bum to clean themselves pull at the fur on their chest. Have you checked that his bum is nice and clean. Reasons for him not being able to do this include being a pit porky or spinal pain. Dental discomfort is another possibility.

If your Vet can find no physical problem then maybe you need to consider enhancing Sooty's day to day life by possibly getting him a Buny friend from your local Rescue or if that is out of the question try to provide him with lots of toys like cardboard tubes and boxes and as much interaction with his twofoot family as possible

Janex :)

Well he's got Amber for company, he seems genuinely happy. I'm thinking it might now be that he was an indoor bunny until about 6/7 months ago when I put them into my mum's back garden for more space and exercise. (The flat just seemed a bit too small for them).

I checked his bottom and it's all clean, even when I took him to the vet she couldn't seem to find any reason for him losing his fur. No mites or skin irritations etc.

I think i'll have to take him to the vets just to make sure there's no under lying problems to make him do this. :(

powab said:
Well he's got Amber for company, he seems genuinely happy. I'm thinking it might now be that he was an indoor bunny until about 6/7 months ago when I put them into my mum's back garden for more space and exercise. (The flat just seemed a bit too small for them).

I checked his bottom and it's all clean, even when I took him to the vet she couldn't seem to find any reason for him losing his fur. No mites or skin irritations etc.

I think i'll have to take him to the vets just to make sure there's no under lying problems to make him do this. :(

One of my Buns had a problem with fur loss under her dewlap. Turned out to be a FUNGAL infection. She pulled at the fur as it itched. Her friend 'helped' her by pulling at it too :roll:
Maybe you could ask your Vet if Sooty might have a Fungal infection on his skin

Janex

It's just stressing me out a bit that it's a reoccuring thing, and it's always the exact same amount of fur that goes....it literally means all the fur on the chest area is missing and he looks like a little plucked chicken! :(

Back