• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused about spring greens, cabbage and bloat

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I've got to do the normal weekly shop today, and am confused as to what veg I should be getting for the bunnies. I want to stop them having so much cabbage and carrot, as Dusty keeps getting stasis (currently under investigation - don't yet know the cause). But are spring greens better than cabbage??

I just don't know what to buy!! Suggestions about what is good for a sensitive digestive system would be greatly appreciated. :)

I figured they were the same thing! I don't know. I keep giants mostly who can cope with just about anything (touch wood) all my more sensitive buns I used to give grass that were prone to diarhea (sp?) it's a lot easier on the gut.

I think its important that when we discuss what rabbits can eat, that quantities are talked about. Sometimes I see bunnies on here with large bowls of fresh veg, which I know would cause problems if given to my own bunnies. I personally only give a leaf of a spring green with some mint and on another day a 1" chunk of carrot and three brussel sprouts, then maybe some sliced celery and a couple of florets of brocolli the next.

If you are having bloat problems, I would not give cabbage. Spring greens are a vegetable and it is described as such on the bag, but I only give a leaf. Brocolli will cause gas in some buns, but I prefer tiny amounts of veg. Mine eat large amounts of hay and a handful of SS a day. If I overdo veg they get diarrhoea. I know some members bunnies eat large amounts of veg without any problems, but mine cannot without problems.

Do a search for the Dana Krempel article on Gastrointestinal Stasis: The Silent Killer which is excellent. Sorry can't do links and too old to learn :roll:

I've had problems with mine and cabbage, so they don't get it any more. I keep their diet very simple. 1 large leaf of spring greens for the big bunnies and a small leaf for the nethies.
I agree about the quantity. I also swear by routine and giving the same things at the same time of day. Works for me anyway.

Spring greens are cabbage :shock: :shock: :shock: It's ready in spring time (thats why it's spring greens).
Anyhoo I give spring greens everyday with celery and radish. Anything else is a treat.

SarahP said:
I've got to do the normal weekly shop today, and am confused as to what veg I should be getting for the bunnies. I want to stop them having so much cabbage and carrot, as Dusty keeps getting stasis (currently under investigation - don't yet know the cause). But are spring greens better than cabbage??

I just don't know what to buy!! Suggestions about what is good for a sensitive digestive system would be greatly appreciated. :)

What is Dusty's diet?
I thought greens were ok and not likely to cause stasis. Bloat and stasis are different conditions i think :?

Estelle said:
SarahP said:

What is Dusty's diet?
I thought greens were ok and not likely to cause stasis. Bloat and stasis are different conditions i think :?

your right Estelle, bloat and GI Statis are different conditions, bloat being the quicker killer out of the two and can happen with hours where as GI Stastic is a gradual condition where the buns tummy progressively starts to stop :) :)

I dont really understand why spreen greens are ok and cabbage isnt, but I've always given greens and not cabbage :?

It really is an individual thing and not all veg are good for all buns. I have to keep away from veg that cause wind problems in humans as through experience I've found that they cause problems for my buns as well. :oops:

So, no cabbage for my buns and only a little spring greens otherwise I have problems. (not me personally -the buns) :oops:

"Spring greens are cabbage It's ready in spring time (thats why it's spring greens)"

Did a google on spring greens and this is what it says:

Spring greens are a cultivar of Brassica oleracea in the cultivar Acephala Group, similar to kale, in which the central leaves do not form a head or form only a very loose one. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most other domesticated forms, and is grown primarily in northern Europe, where its tolerance of cold winters is valued for an early spring supply of edible leaves. The Cultivar Group Acephala also includes curly kale and collard greens, which are extremely similar genetically.

The term is also used more loosely to refer to thinnings and trimmed-off leaves of other types of Brassica, including turnip and swede leaves, surplus thinned out young cabbage plants and leaves from cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

In all cases, the leaves, being loose, are fully exposed to light, and so are dark green, coarse, often tough, and more strongly flavoured than many people prefer, but are also particularly rich in vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre, making them a very healthy food.

When Benji was ill a couple of weeks ago the vet said not got give Spring Greens or Cabbage, as they are both very gassy, I have now stopped both from Bellas and Benji's diet, they are both eating loads more hay.

I was told give celery which they have anyway, carrots only everyother day, and a small bit of brocoli in the evening, thats all the veg they have now and you should see the size of their poop's :shock: :shock:

Mine have 3 types of veg every evening.. usually two crunchy things like celery, carrot, brocoli (about 1" carrot or 2" celery or one floret of brocoli) then they have something leafy like a sprig of parsley, few sprigs of coriander or handful of rocket, sometimes a few carrot tops. Sometimes i get spring greens and they have one leaf each instead of one of the other things. I always avoid sprouts and havent had cabbage for ages.. only because i find spring greens better and greener.
I always feed their veg in the evening as a way of getting them all to bed and means they have all day to eat hay :D

Mine love spring greens, brocolli and carrot, which they get daily - BUT it's the quantities you may be having a problem with rather than the type of veg. An inch of carrot, a floret of brocolli the size of a 50p and a medium sized leaf of greens is all I give mine - and I cut the tough stalk out of the leaf for Benny as he's a bit delicate. :)

Thanks for the replies. Am going to cut the quantities down by half but stick to daily, and see how they go.....

Back