• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wont eat hay!!

sasakim

New Kit
Hi im new here and wondered if anyone could give me some advice?? My adorable house rabbit Reggie will not eat hay!! i got him aged 1 and a half and he now 2 he had been ill treated but after alot of time and patience he is now extremely friendly and loves cuddles but i can not get him to eat hay unless hand feed him it. He will eat endless supplies of his favourite spinnach, kale and broccoli and eats his pellets and eats grass when out supervised in garden, any ideas??

may try a hay only diet and cut out his pellets to see if he will eat hay. or you can try a variety of hays to see if he has a prefered one?
i had a bun who was stuck on freecycle with a piggie and both of them had never eaten hay in their life - they both wouldnt touch it to begin with and then started to eat it.
hay is vital to a buns diet for their teeth and their system.
good luck

My rabbit doesnt eat hay really either i try giving him it all time and its in his hutch all the time but he just wont eat it. He loves grass so i give him that but still put hay in. I`ve cut his pellets down to and he still aint very keen.. ive changed hay as well... maybe i just have a strange rabbit :D

cut down on cale and cabbage as you should only feed this with hay as the buns can get bad wind called ''bloat'' and can be fatal.

try mixing different types of hay and use ''ready grass'' (kiln dried) as it tastes better. Also cut down on dried food and use something like Science selective or excel as they have hay built in.

You might have to try a few different types to see if there's one they like better. I'd reduce the pellets right down too, to a minimum, to encourage hay-eating. However, if you do that keep an eye on buns weight to make sure he is still eating.

I pick grass for mine too :D

For me I had to try all the different types of hay I could get my hands on, and Dougal still turned his wee nose up at........untill I got some hay from a horse supplier he loves it and will not eat anything else. What I'm trying to say do not give up, hay from different places will taste different so give it a go. :D

Back