• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just found blood but not the first time

Ali

Warren Veteran
I have just been out to the bunny palace to put Bella and Benji to bed and give them their supper, and have found blood, in the top of the hutch, this is not the first time, at least twice before :oops: , but I cant see any thing wrong with either of them no signs of any blood on them at all, its like Bella has a period, as Ive just looked at the dates on the pictures I took before, I have checked them both over top to toe and nothing there, has anyone any ideas please :cry:

Hi Ali I really cant help much but would they have or one of them chewed something sharp. Maybe a cut in the mouth and it cant be seen ? Some wood chew perhaps ? Sending nose rubs xxx Ive had this with the dogs before and looked right in their mouths.

Hi Steph,

I have checked them both all over, and cant see anything wrong at all, I was holding Sahne was checking them, but both seem fine and lively, nothing abnormal apart from the blood,

this was in January when it first happened :oops:
IMG_5524.jpg

Are you sure it's not pee cos that can be really red sometimes, can we see the photos you took last time, that might help. My bun Missy had blood coming from her mouth but I knew it was coming from her mouth because she started to behave strangely and went off her food immediately.

As I'm sure you'll know, buns don't have periods but if it's coming from her rear end you need to get her to a vet, get a clean syringe and try and take a fresh sample of the 'blood' from the puddle and they will check it out. I'd take both buns to the vet for a check over anyway especially if it's happened before.

Edit: oopsy! took too long to answer! :lol:

It just seem strange its about once a month!!!!!!! no signs of any other probs, but seems as if one of them have sat in it at some stage, they were both fine earier as were both well groomed, and went in at 7.00pm and the blood was there

do you think its defiently blood? Ive seen very red wee before and panicked :oops: I cant really make your piccie out too well as the screen is playing up.

Ali said:
It did seem watery and soaked into the wood, quickly

hmmm maybe it is wee then? Was it watery and see through red? Thats what the red wee is like I have seen.

Or more thick and opaque like blood?

mandy said:
Ali said:
It did seem watery and soaked into the wood, quickly

hmmm maybe it is wee then? Was it watery and see through red? Thats what the red wee is like I have seen.

Or more thick and opaque like blood?

It was deffo not red red blood!!!! but normaly they wee in litter trays only

Ali as has been said perhaps it is red wee. Ive had a couple of buns have that at some time. I found mine had a reddy watery wee when they had shavings. Should have read your post more precisely about checking all bits over. Sending love and vibes to you all xxx

Hi, Ali! I asked the Vet about this once and she said when you have fed dark green veg, such as parsley, etc, it can make the wee turn red. It's normal, apparently. Could be this. Claire x

2 things you can try:

1) I have this happened to my bunny Goofball, in the end, it's her abnormal teeth that injure her tongue, as such, the blood come out of her tongue. The odd that it is the tongue in your case is very small

2) This is what I would do, bring them indoor and observe them closely. That way, when it happens, you can see first hand what it is. Best guess is one bunny suddenly is hurting the other, and there is a minute cut somewhere beneath the fur of the other bunny

Thank you all for your comments, I have been over both of them with a fine tooth comb (not litretry) but you know what I mean, and there is nothing on any of them, and there has been no more red/wee/ blood today, or last night,

Since Benji was ill a couple of weeks back I have cut out all spring Greens and Cabbage as the vet suggested, and only give carrot every other day now, they get celery every day and a small bit of brocolli in the evening, they are both eating loads more hay now :p :p

Back