• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jen and Frankie are home - Getting better...?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
My little lady is coming home tomorrow with her new husbun :love: :love: :D :D I'm really excited - it's been a long week without her :lol: I've even missed the routine of preparing her veggies in the morning :oops:

The hutch is all ready and clean and there's lots of lovely new hay from BB for the newly weds to nibble on :love:

I also want to say a big THANK YOU to Tracey and Angie at BARC for letting me rehome Frankie :love: and another big THANK YOU to Ellepotter, who has very, very kindly bonded Jen and Frankie this week. I really appreciate your help :D

Only 13 and a half hours to go :lol: :love:

We're picking them up at 9am :D I've already cleaned the hutch with vinegar twice and rinsed it today, but I'm just leaving it overnight to make sure it's dry properly (looks OK now, but another 12 hrs won't hurt). I'll need to get early and make it up for them tomorrow!

Awww, thats brilliant Tracie,
hope everything goes well for
your loved up bunnies, i am green with envy
at the moment :lol: ! Shouldnt be too
long until Liam comes home now :D !
x

OK... well I brought the newly weds home about an hour again and things didn't run smoothly initially. They were fine in the carrier in the car together but Jen started chasing Frankie a lot when they were in the hutch, despite me extensively cleaning it :( I brought them in together and put them both in the bath - they were fine like that for half an hour, so I then had a brain wave and moved them to the run.

They seem OK together in the run - Frankie keeps putting his head under Jen's for grooming and she's mostly ignoring him. Then they really started to chase each other (Jen tried to chase Frankie at first but then he really tore after her). It terrified me!

She finally gave up and flopped out on her side along one of the edges, and he came and sat by her, but so far no more interaction then that.

What else can I do? How can I tell if it's going to get nasty, or if they are just not going to bond?

Thanks

I bonded Clover and Archie the other day and when I eventually moved them into the shed, some mild humping and chasing started again, I think just to establish dominance, and then it settled.

They will just be sorting out who is boss.

Fiona x

Thanks Fiona. Is the chasing supposed to look terrifying - ie. like they just want to attack each other?? :shock: Every now and then they will sit together and one or the other will attempt to get the other to groom them - I think they both want to be the dominant bun :?

Ok... they have been in the run for a while now, and the chasing has stopped. They are lying next to each other. Jen gave Frankie the teeniest quick groom over his head, but I think it's a start :D

I'm sat in the kitchen with my laptop watching from the window :shock: They seriously scared me earlier. I'm so, so glad that they have calmed down.

I'm going to keep them in the run for a good while yet and see how they get on... I just hope they are OK by tonight to go into the hutch, otherwise I'll have to think of something else (possibly getting in the car and buying a new hutch! :shock: )

Thing is she still knows its her home, no matter how much you clean the hutch ... because shes in familiar territory and hes not - Shes asserting her dominance... but if the chasing is pretty much over and the grooming has kind of started - Myabe they are now settling down.
I wouldnt worry!
When I first got my 2 home after a week of bonding - She an away from him and completley blanked him for a few hours - I was so freaked I had unbonded them and he was only a baby... but now they are joined at the hip!
Honestly dont worry!

Thanks for the reassurance! :D Frankie is very skittish and nervous around people anyway, whereas Jen is very relaxed with me so I think that might be what is making the difference. They are still in the run at the moment and haven't chased for about 40 mins. They are currently eating a bowl of hay and spring greens and seem OK :?

Hi

I was wondering about that... but the roof is a cover rather than a fixed roof and I just don't think it's safe enough :?

I'm not going anywhere today so they can stay in the run as long as the weather holds, but tonight I think they will either have to try the hutch again or have a night in the bathroom! :shock:

Hope they settle down. Its the same problem with my two. Pickle sees the hutch/run as HIS regardless of how many times I vinegar/disinfect it. He is not daft!!!!

Even if I had mine indoors for a week and put them back outside I KNOW he will still know it is HIS and I would be back to square one!!!

I will either have to let them sort it out themselves, or buy another hutch/run for them to live in :roll:

Good luck today with your two :D

Thanks Donna :D I see the worse case scenario as being that tomorrow I have to go and buy a new hutch :lol: :shock:

At the moment they are still in the run together and they seem fine - there's no more chasing at least, they are regularly sitting right next to each other and Jen has made some half hearted attempts to groom Frankie. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get them in the hutch together later - I'll try in maybe an hour or so :?

I went out to clean the pump for the pond out a moment ago and both buns were binkying, so they must feel reasonably relaxed.

Back