• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where do you keep your hay ?

madysmummy

Mama Doe
we keep it in a washing basket in the bedroom at the mo but when we move we have a cole shed which i thought i could put the hay in, but how do you make sure wild animals don't think the hays for them ?

I have hay in the shed and hay in dustbins near the hutches. Having a horse I also have a stack full of meadow hay. Try and store it on pallets if its in a shed or coal house, air circulates around the bale then. :D

I keep mine outside in one of those plastic storage chests that double as a bench :D (for people considerably lighter than me, anyway :lol: ). It was only £20 in the B&Q January sale and it totally waterproof - very pleased with it :D

In the living room behind o/h's chair. :oops: I have a little cupboard in the kitchen for Evo's litter, and the bag of hay he is currently using, but the rest is in the living room. Still, at least it always smells nice in there. :lol:

B&Q have some outdoor storage chest things - I bought 2 at the weekend. A bit pricey, but will be ideal for all the hay :)

What kind of hay do you buy Madysmummy? I buy bales and just keep them in bin bags in the summer house as nothing can get in there, but I do keep the sack of pellets in a huge storage box from Wilkos, so perhaps you could do the same?

In air tight containers

like this

IMG_4499.jpg

we keeps ours in the box its supplied in, then when we top up just bring a bale home and put in the box.

In the store we keep it all up aginst the wall (about 6 inches away from the wall) on 9 foot high pallets so that the air can circulate.

In the Ideal world a box is the best option for large quantities as it allows the hay to breathe while keeping things out of it. Plastic tubs are ok for small quantities or if the hay is used quickly, but changes in humidity can cause problems if stores in plastic (hence why hay from plastic bags can smell yuck sometimes)

In a dust bin in the garage, with a smaller amount in a little bin under the stairs for easy daily access - so I don't have to go out to the garage every day! (Bunnies currently live indoors)

I keep mine in a storage unit in the garden beside his hutch, its great.. keep everything in there :D !!
Hxx

I keep the main bale in the garage.. havent found anything the entire bale will fit into yet so it goes in an old duvet cover til i use it. I then fill a wheely storage box exactly the same as Ali uses but i leave the top off and stand it in the bunny room.. behind the pen so they cant get into it!

I Keep the unopened sacks in the cupboard under the stairs, and the one in use is kept in a lidded 80ltre dustbin in the spare room along with the pellets. Will have to rethink the storage in May when Paul comes back from his gorilla tracking in Congo as that's his bedroom.

I keep mine in a snazzy Ikea pet food bag. It cost me about £4 and it has mesh panels so that the air can circulate. Best of all it has lots of handles so I can wander round the garden with it.

Back