• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused!! - please help!!

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Hiya,
im new to this and have a Rabbit called pringle, he is male and 2 years old.
i cant help notice that nearly everyone i read about had more than one rabbit, i always thought if you had more than one rabbit they would just fight?, im interested to know if you buy them together or seperate :?:

are they better on their own or as a pair :?: im starting to feel bad thinking i have maybe made my bun a lonely one :(
Oh and... how long do they normally live for as i read up its early teens but my cousin said she thought it was only 6 :?:

How hopeless am i :(

H xx

Two bunnies is better than one!!! They wont fight if they are both neutered and are bonded correctly. They will then not be bored as they always have company.

Not sure of the lifespan of an average bunny so hope someone can answer that part!

contact your vets about it.
Not sure if you have any rescues nearby but sometimes its good to ask them where they get their rabbits neutered/spayed and go to that vet as they are so experienced. You could look on here to see if theres any rescues near to you
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

Once your Pringle has been neutered you could see if there is any spayed females in rescues near by as they may help you with bonding them too :wink:

your not hopeless atall!
my harvey is a single bun at the moment but hes recently been neutered so i can get him a girlfriend. bonding is usually easier with male and female pairs.
have a word with your vet about neutered. its a fairly routine opperation which 1 - will enable you to get ur bun a friend without the risk of litters and the bun wanting to constantly hump and 2 - often calms down their behaviour aswell.
dont feel guilty - many people do have just one bun and aslong as you spend lots of time with the bun its ok. but after seeing buns snuggling up on here and stories i was sure i wanted a wife for harvey once he had his opp! hurray its finally done lol!

oh ty :p That has helped a lot. I`m hoping to get him neutered, sadly i had him at the vet a couple of weeks ago with teeth problems they are growin fast (6weeks) and vet said if they grow fast again ill have to think about letting him go :(.. but ive been given him loads of grass and letting him on it loads so hopefully that is helping him.
i will take him to vets next week and see how his teeth are going and if they are still short ill ask about getting him neutered.

Let me know how urs goes when u get lil harvey a gf 8)

Thank you again
H xx

confused -please help

Hi pringle :) I am surprised that your vet would suggest that you should consider letting your bunny go for having teeth problems :shock: :( I am assuming its his front teeth which are causing the problem :( well your vet should be able to remove them :) If he is not compedent enough to do this work then perhaps you could try another vet who can :( you are doing the right thing by giving him lots of hay and grass and i am sure he would love a companion once he has been castrated :)
Have a look on rabbit rehome there are lots of gorgeous bunnies waiting for homes :)

Is it his front teeth that overgrow, or does he develop spikes on his molar teeth? Grass and hay should help, but in this day and age, pts because of teeth problems shouldn't really be an option.
In fact, if he has to have an operation to sort his teeth out, the vet can do the neutering at the same time.
It may be worth ringing round a few vets to find out how rabbit savvy they are. Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone can suggest one in your area?

Hi, plenty of hay and pellets will help his teeth.
If you can get him a friend its best as rabbits really need company, if you think how they live in the wild they are always in groups. If you do get a lady it's worth getting her spayed too as they are less territorial then and there is also a lot of research (and evidence) that female rabbits can develop ovarian cancer (about 85% if left unspeyed).

Welcome to RU!

Thank you all :D

no its his back teeth :( they say that they are growing in squint and cutting into his gums... :( he has had them cut right down twice within 6 weeks and the vet says puting him through this every 6 weeks or so would be really stressful for him...
i asked about taking teeth out as im hopeless but they said they cant take the back ones out... they also said if he gets loads of grass there is a good chance it will slown the growth so heres hoping. They are a good vet as i changed from my old one as they were hopeless. i have taken my dogs and that to this vet to and they are reasonable... i just dont understand by put a young rabbit down just because his teeth..
:? very confusing!!
xx

Hi Im new here and like you was starting to feel really guilty as i also only have one very spoilt rabbit called Reggie who has teeth back teeth probs to altho since his last trip to vet where he got the sharp one which had given him an ulcer on his tongue filed down he has been really happy and healthy so fingers crossed he be fine. Reggie was castrated last year but people have told me cos of his age (he is 2) and cos he lives inside that i should not get another rabbit as he would attack it but after reading this i guess thats not true.

I know im pretty surprised as well, i always thought animals would fight. well small animals, like when i had hamsters i got told not to put them together or they would fight... maybe its different for them thought.
Wel i hope ur reggies teeth are fine.. im sure he will be.
Hx

I think the feeling that bunnies would fight comes from when it was rare to spay or neuter bunnies, so two entire bunnies of the same sex were put together. I was unaware of the difficulties, and my first two bunnies were unspayed females, and gosh did they fight until they were spayed :shock: I have bonded my boy Bobby (neutered) with 3 different wifey buns and he's had a lovely relationship with each of them. I also have to neutered boys together and they get on fine.
If you get a friend for them from a rescue centre, many if them will help with the bonding, and will allow them on 'blind dates' so they can choose their own friend.

Thats such a shame about your rabbits teeth i was told that i would also have to consider putting Reggie to sleep but since his operation and with a slight change in diet he is doing well so fingers crossed for Pringle to!! Still not sure about a friend for Reggie tho he so used to being spoilt by me and my fiance i think he would hate a new comer in his territory. Sx

Hi there! Having just neutered my new boy bunny, I have paired him with my (neutered) single girl bunny and their affection is unbelievable. :love: Its worth having him neutered, waiting a few weeks and then speaking to a local rescue about pairing him with a neutered girl. They will be the best of friends and are much less dependent on us when they have a friend.

As for the teeth problem, I have four bunnies with problems with molar spurs/spikes like your bunny, though mines need their teeth burred every 4 weeks. Its my opinion that if the good days for them outnumber the bad then thats what keeps me letting my bunnies fight on through it. It is only you who knows your pet though, but dental problems like this are common and lots of people on here have bunnies who need dentals every 6 weeks so you'll get lots of advice and hints on here. And lots of hay, hay, and more hay to try to keep the spikes at bay! :lol:

Fiona x

aww thank you... u are all so helpful :D
Well i give him loads of hay but he doesnt seem to want to eat that much. so i am constantly puting him on the grass as he munches away at that for ages so hopefully thats helping them. it sounds great to get him a girlfriend and id love him to do the whole picking thing :lol: i will definatly consider that once i get his teeth problem sorted :D
Thank you :D
Hxx

I spayed Pippa and bonded her with MJ at the age of two, and they are so loved up and happy it's great - there's no way I'd ever have a single rabbit now I know better (unless bonding had failed so many times it was obvious the bun wanted to stay single)

Back