• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

scruff of the neck

Bhm1712

Young Bun
is it wrong to use the scruff of the rabbits neck in order to pick them up, even if you support their bums with the other hand?

I think it's ok as long as you support their weight like you said and don't actually hang them from their scruffs

ok

thats ok then, pirate will not go back into her hutch and the only way i could do it was to hold her scruff and bum and lift her in! any other way and she kicks and wriggles and im scared of hurting her spine!

any ideas as to how i can get her to go back into her hutch nicely? even a treat doesnt seem to work!

I prefer not to, as it tends to scare them. I imagine it feels a bit like a predator swooping down and grabbing them.

I've also noticed that several of my adopted/rescued rabbits are very sensitive around the neck/shoulder area, and I know others who have noticed this with theirs. Usually these rabbits come from a place where they were routinely scruffed. For example, the shelter workers at the place I got Loki routinely scruff rabbits. They know how to do it properly, but he spooked whenever I touched his neck for months until he learned I wasn't going to do that.

It's also not a good idea to scruff large rabbits. Even with properly supported hindquarters, it's very uncomfortable to have that much weight put on the skin.

I much prefer to just slip one hand under the chest and one under the butt, then lift. My previously scruffed and hand-shy rabbits have learned to find this acceptable and don't usually fuss too much once they're used to the idea.

I guess I posted at the same time as you. :)

Can she get into and out of the hutch on her own? I always feed my rabbits their veggies once their playtime is done. If they want their veggies they have to go back in. If she can't get into the hutch on her own, use veggies or a treat to train her to hop into a carrier, then use that to get her back into the hutch. Both take some consistency but all of mine learned pretty quickly.

Re: ok

I agree - I think persistance is the key - When I bonded my group Effie and Jess weren't used to coming in on their own and I used to have a mare getting them in from the garden. They know now that they get dinner when they come in so join in the scrummage at dinner time without me getting red faced running round the garden first :lol: I think if you continue to put Pirate away for now, give her a reward when you put her in so she know she's in for a treat when she goes in and eventually hopefully she'll learn.

My vet could only get Joey out of his carrier by dragging him out by the scruff. Poor thing looked terrified!

My vet picks up using scruff and bum but I don't think there's any need and it frightens the rabbit. I scoop mine up with a hand under their two front legs and the other under their bum and then cradle them to my chest. If Pippa panics as she doesn't like being picked up that much I cradle her on her back and she does calm down, although thankfully she's much better at being picked up now but doesn't like it for too long.

Before when she hated being picked up I transported her by using a carrier and "persuaded" her in

At this stage I wouldn't do anything to scare Pirate as you want to build up her trust and if she hates being picked up then try using her carrier

ps have you posted any pics yet??

not yet!

nope not yet as i have had pc trouble and need to reload the camera software!

if i do a bunny scoop and get her bum and under her chest she struggles like crazy! so i feel bad incase im hurting her! even if i give her veggies after playtime she doesnt go into the hutch to get them she just does not want to go back inside, she just wants to run around licking me and nuzzling me! she seems to trust me quite a bit up to now, but im just scared of ruining the trust by hurting her or making her angry at me! sometimes it can take me 20 mins to get her back in!

she CAN get in and out herslef when she chooses too!

Unlike cats and dogs, rabbits don't have a 'scruff' as such as they are not carried around by it when babies. I don't agree with it personally, most of my buns don't have a scruff, only girls tend to as it's their dewlap being pulled back. I would personally find another way to carry them as I had a serious go at a vet when they picked up my bun like that! (They also pulled my giant out of his box by his ears, safe to say I didn't go there again!) :shock:

i had the same problems with Lola when we first got her, and to this day she doesnt like being picked up

but as she is a frenchie i worried even more about picking her up by the scruff of her neck (especially as the person she came from picked her up by the scruff without even supporting her bum :( )

we persevered and can now pick her up by one hand under her chest and the other under her bum - i think she feels a lot more secure that way

i would try this with pirate, even if you have to attempt it a few times - after all she will be quite a big bunny. she should get used to it.

if all else fails, try using a really nice treat (like the plantain lola gets when she has her drops in her eyes). after a while she should associate going back in the hutch with treats - although again you will probably need to persevere

incidentally if anyone can think of a way for me to pick up frida who turns into snarling pyscho-bunny the minute you put your hand under her chest - i would be VERY grateful!. even oven gloves aren't enough :lol: and she's actually the smallest of all our bunnies. thankfully the vet cuts her claws (and dreads it!) and she never needs a bath or anything (if she ever does then i'm leaving the country never to return :lol: )

I dont pick up by the scruff of the neck as they wouldnt have been picked up that way by their parents like cats and dogs, I put one hand under the bum and one hand under their front legs and pick up that way

I think you risk bruising them if you pick up by the scruff - but I have done it on the odd occasion with a difficult bun.

I have one that HATES being picked up - but Jane on here advised me to carry bun with her spine to my chest - she does seem happier that way

I wonder if that's why Honey hates the scruff area being touched. Maybe her previous owners picked her up that way. Not good as she is really quite a big bun!! I cannot stroke her there for love nor money bless her!!!!
Aww my poor baby! :(

haffyj

haffyj your bunny looks just like my pirate!

apart from pirate has a slight head tilt and chunks out her ears!

Back