• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw becoming a pain with rabbits fur

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Ok well mam and babies who are currently housed indoors are lionlops, Poppy and Cleo have very longish fur and are constantly getting straw stuck to there face, bum every where which in turn couses poo to stick to the sraw on there bum. I've considerd changing them to maybe a wood baced litter or someting better if anyone has any ideas.

The problem is there all going outside soon in May 1st. Casper is going in a normal 3ft hutch (will have exuercise daily) and girls are going in the new shed type hutch, which has no mesh windows etc so no wind gets in so there pretty snug. Once neuterd they will be bonded back together with Casper and then Buttons but he is a bun used to having barly straw in his hutch, if i change this to a litter type in there sleeping area. One will Buttons get used to it or cause him stress and 2 will this keep themm warm enough in the winter months if there shed/hutch has no mesh gaps for wind and rain to get in :?

I have angs and never had this problem, I kept them on shavings and that was a pain, could you not try hay as bedding to see if it's better until they all move? Or a haircut lol. Lion hair is different from ang hair as it's more dense I've found.

Hay is just as bad, you can see everytime Poppy has a mouth full 1/2 left on the fur around her mouth :roll: I wouldn't even try a haircut though as there very squiggley and an accident is more liable to ahppen :shock: Just thinking how Buttons would be on wod litter if i changed them and if they would be warm enough but if there huddled together i'm sure they'll keep each other warm :D

I'm trying Russell Rabbit bedding for my longhaired guineapigs and so far it's good. It costs £2.09 from Wilkos and it looks like I'll get three cleanouts out of it (4ft cage)

Back