• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed Bunny - not eating or drinking

Latte Lover

Young Bun
Had my little Latte spayed today. All went ok, but vet advised to keep her indoors for tonight (she's an outdoor bunny all year round usually) and to keep her separate from Talle (the boy bunny - already neutered).

She is in the spare small hutch in the kitchen - not eating, drinking and looking miserable.

He is outside in a huge hutch and run looking lost and also not eating much (he's usually a complete pig!).

They've been together since they were 2 months old but were separated for nearly 2 weeks when Talle was neutered - on vets advice. They went back together fine with no problems and I expect to put Latte back with Talle in just a few days.

But I can't bear them looking so miserable! and Latte not eating is worrying me. Got the vets at 8.50am tomorrow for post op check.

But does this sound like a normal reaction? Seems reasonable to me really - guess I'd feel a bit off colour! - but just wondering....?

Hi there. It can be normal for them to be quiet and subdued for a while following their operation and disinterested in eating. But if she has not eaten at all today then I would be inclined to syringe feed some food and fluid into her.

Unless of course she can be tempted by lots of her favourite treats, veg and herbs though sure you have been trying this.

Do you have any recovery mix or pellets which would mash down in boiled cooled water?

Has she poo'd at all?

I would be inclined to ask for more pain relief and gut stimulant tomorrow when she gets her check up.

Fiona x

thank you. The vet said she ate ok when she first came round. I think she is just missing Talle as they snuggle up together every night!

She did eat a little bit of carrot earlier....
Not long til check up really. i feel more sorry for poor Talle stuck outside by himself, cos Latte is all cosy indoors!

If she's missing her friend personally I wouldn't seperate them. Having the company and the warmth of another bun can actually help. I wouldn't worry too much if she's not eating or pooping just yet, but definately keep an eye on her. My worst, after her spay, took two days to come round properly and eat for herself but she pulled through just fine.

I'd put them together again. Furby didn't move very much for the 24 hours following her spay. She nibbled a bit of hay half-heartedly, and had a bit of carrot, but that was all. It took a day or two before she was eating properly. Is there any way you could let him in the kitchen with her until they go back outdoors? She could probably use a nice snuggly bun!! If they use a litter tray in the hutch just put it on the floor by the spare hutch and they'll use it.

Yup, I'd put them together as well. When my buns were seen to, they were kept together throughout and didn't bother each other's wounds at all, just kept eachother warm. Also, my vet told me there was no need to keep them inside if they had lots of hay, straw and warm bedding so they went outside and were absolutely fine.

I would suspect that it is pain causing her problems. I had lots of problems with my 2 after they were spayed and, in my view, they were given inadequate pain relief. It's a major op that they've had, after all. Good luck at the vets. :)

Hope she's ok. When my bun was spayed she didn't eat for the first night at all and I managed to tempt her with grated carrot and cucumber then mixed pellets up into that once she was eating. It took her a few days to get back to being 'normal'

Thanks for all your comments, its reassured me that this is probably normal. Lets face it she's had a hysterectomy and women usually take about 6 weeks to recuperate (my mum had one a few years back!)

Vet's checked her over this morning and given me some recovery mix, and said her wound is healing nicely.

I have put her back outside in the normal Hutch with Talle cos he was looking so miserable this morning.They've sniffed each other out, and seem to be snuggling up together fine. So I guess i'll just leave them to get on with it, and just keep an eye on them.

Thanks again! :D

My little Latte has eaten a bit of apple and cabbage and has been running around with Talle. Thanks to all for advice, guess I was panicking over nothing!

you just have to keep feeding your bun with her favorite treats, whatever they are before surgery, to slowly guide her back to normal diet. It takes a few days w/ the first 24 to 48 hr. almost eating nothing. Especially the first 24 hr. So would a human if she would go thru this kind of surgery

Back