• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is a.......

I thought it was the bit they pulled their fur out of to make a nest. Im am probably completely wrong though :lol: :oops:

Well Carys was telling me all about these yesterday and she said exactly the same thing as you "sillyrabbit".

:)

Tracey x

Cool :D After I wrote that I started really doubting myself! I have asked the vet so many questions I dont know if I have just dreamed some of them or if I did actually ask :oops:

I think the dewlap is the raised bump on the chest of very obese rabbits. Healthy rabbits have flat chests.

kayw1 said:
I think the dewlap is the raised bump on the chest of very obese rabbits. Healthy rabbits have flat chests.

that is totally wrong, fatter rabbits have larger dew laps but my holly is perfect weight and she has a dewlap, but it is mainly to do with the hormones and un spayed females, and a place to pull fur out when having litters

It is usual to find them on females, they pull fur from there when they nest, overweight rabbits have them too and for some reason rexes do. My spayed girls don't really have them so I'm guessing they are affected by hormones.

Several of my girls have them, my oldest unspayed girlie doesn't have one.

Two unspayed don't have one

One spayed doesn't have one

And one big girl has a huge one and always has :)

I have a boy with a little one (dewlap I mean!! :lol: )

& my rex, french lop X (both spayed) have them. One of my unspayed lionhead crosses has a massive one :lol:

Angie65 said:
I have a boy with a little one (dewlap I mean!! :lol: )

My waffles has a very small dewlap to!!!

Barbie did have a gigantic one :shock: :shock: but as she has slimed down the size of her dewlap has reduced conciderably!!!! (Is that spelt right???? :lol: )

Some breeds are more prone to dewlaps such as rexs and dwarf lops etc. It is the part they pluck for nests, but they also pluck all of their tummy and chest to expose the nipples to feed kits. When pregnant, the hair in these areas becomes looser so is easier (and less painful) to pluck out. Dewlaps are only a problem if they are causing bun a problem as they can be nipped and tucked lol, but this is only recommended if it is actually a problem as I have herad of some owners having it done for cosmetic purposes! :roll:
Some boys have them too don't panic.

I've got this girly in for rehoming and she's got a big dewlap,

bunnies026.jpg

That's not a dewlap Tree, it's a cushion!! :lol: Seriously tho, I have seen this little girl and she is gorgeous, dewlap and all!! :D

Im fostering this little girl for Tree and feel so lucky to be asked to look after her. She is the most wonderful bunny ! She has so much personality and her larger dewlap adds to it :love: Here is a side on view of the cute Hettie Bun ! She would really be a dream come true for a real bunny lover !

bunnies028.jpg

bunnies027.jpg

Back