• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

collars

ryan

New Kit
hi
is it cruel to keep your rabbit with a collar on it and may it be dangerous.
many thanks
Ryan Harper

I think its cruel. And could be dangerous, I would be scared of the bunny getting its arms or legs stuck in the collar and hurting themselves

my rabbits have collars when they are raoming round teh house or garden so i can find them, they ahve never ahd any problems, i make sure they are lose enough so they are comfortable but tight enough to stop legs from getting into them

I know of a rabbit which got it's collar caught on a branch which was lying in the garden, luckily the bunny was being supervised at the time as it was struggling so much it could have broken it's neck had it not been freed so quickly, it was like being caught in a snare.

I can't think of a good reason why a rabbit would need a collar :? I think its cruel to make them wear one just because you think it looks nice. It could be dangerous and i don't think any of my rabbits would enjoy wearing one.

Although I don't think it is necessary for a rabbit to wear a collar, you can get quick relase cat collars, which would remove the element of danger... Some rabbits may put up with wearing a collar, but I think most would find it an irritation and may restrict the areas that they can groom.

i have a harness for my rabbit, i just put it on him when he is in his run so its easier to get him.
i wouldnt keep it on him all the time incase he got it caught on something.

Hxx

I've seen people keep bell collars on buns when they're in the garden, but I think my buns would scratch my arms off if I even thought about it.

I wouldn't use one personally for my rabbits, don't feel the need.

I also don't use on on my cats. My Barney was found with his leg caught through his collar. It had worked it's way up under his shoulder. The injury was horrific, all the skin had churned up round the collar.

Kate

Back