PDA

View Full Version : collars

ryan
07-03-2007, 07:32 PM
hi
is it cruel to keep your rabbit with a collar on it and may it be dangerous.
many thanks
Ryan Harper

sillyrabbit
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I think its cruel. And could be dangerous, I would be scared of the bunny getting its arms or legs stuck in the collar and hurting themselves

Jemma&Theo
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
theres a recent thread- search rabbit collar.

cavysrock
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
my rabbits have collars when they are raoming round teh house or garden so i can find them, they ahve never ahd any problems, i make sure they are lose enough so they are comfortable but tight enough to stop legs from getting into them

bunnyhuggger
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I know of a rabbit which got it's collar caught on a branch which was lying in the garden, luckily the bunny was being supervised at the time as it was struggling so much it could have broken it's neck had it not been freed so quickly, it was like being caught in a snare.

Estelle
07-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I can't think of a good reason why a rabbit would need a collar :? I think its cruel to make them wear one just because you think it looks nice. It could be dangerous and i don't think any of my rabbits would enjoy wearing one.

CottonMather
08-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Although I don't think it is necessary for a rabbit to wear a collar, you can get quick relase cat collars, which would remove the element of danger... Some rabbits may put up with wearing a collar, but I think most would find it an irritation and may restrict the areas that they can groom.

Pringle
10-03-2007, 03:53 AM
i have a harness for my rabbit, i just put it on him when he is in his run so its easier to get him.
i wouldnt keep it on him all the time incase he got it caught on something.

Hxx

raven_guest
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I've seen people keep bell collars on buns when they're in the garden, but I think my buns would scratch my arms off if I even thought about it.

Rushie
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't use one personally for my rabbits, don't feel the need.

I also don't use on on my cats. My Barney was found with his leg caught through his collar. It had worked it's way up under his shoulder. The injury was horrific, all the skin had churned up round the collar.

Kate

Azraelm
10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Sorry i think they are cruel and unnecessary :(

Someone else asked this recently:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40271&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0