• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range house bunnies

Kim_w

Mama Doe
What should I do??????

My rabbits have a puppy crate that we close them in at bedtime and they have the whole run of my bedroom from about 7am-11pm, they have a dog duvet or fluffy bath mats down for them to lie on but them keep weeing on them so I have to was them a few times a week and have already blocked my mums washer once with hay and fluff etc so over the past few days I have been leaving them out all the time with 2 liter trays but with they crate door still open because we are moving into our flat next week and I was thinking of letting them live "free range" so hopefully I wont be washing them mats all the time but they have chewed a hole in my carpet and chewed all the way round my skirting boards!!! They havent done this over the past few days so I suppose they might do that in the flat anyway when were at work!!!

What im baisically asking is should I:
1. Keep putting them to bed at night and just eep washing the mats and duvets and risk blocking the washer

or

2. Try them free range in the flat and hope they dont eat everything!! ( This is my favourite option at the moment because I ike the idea of them being loose all the time, we have no radiators so drying mats etc will be a nightmare and we wouldnt have to have a big puppy crate in our bedroom )

What do you guys think? :D :D :D

Buns still need a base, so keeping the dog crate even if their free range 24/7 is a good idea.

Monnshine and Flopsy free range most of the time, its very rare now that we shut them in the dog crate, but they still like to have it as their own space that they can hop in and out of as they please.

Nicola

keep washing? I don't know tbh. I was Harveys vet bed every week and after 5 years our machine is fine....

and that's always covered in fur and poo and hay and allsorts!

i wouldnt sleep if harvey was out all night.... he mainly goes to bed when we do anyway so its only a case of closing the door.

in fact he spends most of his time lounging on his hammock anyway, so i am happy that he is comfortable in his base...

Back