• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recently neutered Rabbit......

smn74uk

New Kit
Monty, 9 month old lop rabbit. Recently neutered on Vets advice. Since he has been home he has eaten less(definitely off his daily feed, which he enjoyed, still eats hay and fresh veggies, like carrots and Broccoli)….drinks less than 50ml of water per day…and has show less signs of urination as normal. He doesn't come to the front of the hutch as he used too. When handled he is fine and still runs around like a loon in the lounge when allowed too. Do I have anything to be concerned about…just thought I would tap you guys for info…..and a Vet appointment has been made for Friday…in case.

Only a week ago, today. There are regular fresh droppings, but not as much as in the past. He spend the day on his own, as we both work, but gets a run about in the house during the eveing an weekends, we are also rabbitproofing our garden.

He has eaten a bit more today than the last few...but hasn't drank too much.

He is currently running about the lounge, seemingy happy as larry!!

Squidgy was neutered a week ago, and didn't want to eat his dried food, just wanted grass and veg and he sat in the same place a lot.
He is completely back to normal now, but we did notice that his testicles were swollen last week. He's been on a course of Baytril (antibiotic) which has decreased the swelling and increased his appetite.

Hi,

Sounds like Monty is showing the same signs as Squidgy. Tell me, how long after op did things start to go back to normal. Monty is stil the same a week and 1 day on from his op. He is on the same sort of treatment. So fingers crossed it might not be long before he's back to normal.

Squidgy was back to normal after about 6 days. You've got an appointment for tomorrow haven't you? Probably good to get Monty checked over.

Well, I am not 100% convinced about it all, so, common sense say to me to go ahead with the checkup.....so, all will be sorted by 1730 tomorrow. Thanks for the best wishes!!! I will update you all on friday evening!!

S

Well, slightly later than mentioned. The initial checkup showed that is in good shape...not dehydration...or starvation. Vet believes that the antibiotics have upset his stomach and that he needs to reset the natural biotics. He has eaten lots of hay/fresh veg and has shown droppings and urination. However, he has not drank a great deal. He is quite lively and runs/jumps about and has enjoyed lots of green grass in the sun this afternoon. The vet did give us a liquid feed also to help his stomach to get back to norm. Also she said that it could be a few weeks before he is back to normal....

If he's eating a lot of veg he won't be drinking as much :)

Bandit was spayed back on the 22nd January and her appetite still isn't back to normal, she's still off her veg but is slowly eating her pellets the only thing she does eat properly is Grass :roll:

Looks like things may be returning to normal. Last night he ate a fair bit of his dry pellet feed and there has been plenty of waste overnight. And he seems to be a lot livelier!

That's great news, glad he's back to normal :D

As he spends all day by himself and has now been neutered, have you considered getting him a ladybun? If you take him to a local rescue they can usually do the bonding for you and if you do a search on here you'll find loads of advice. I bonded my bun Pippa with MJ and am so glad I did, they're really happy together and spent all day snuggled up grooming each other :love:

Back