• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bunny Boarding

staceyVB

New Kit
My Partner & I have indoor bunnies & we have been considering for a while setting up a boarding facility for Indoor & outdoor bunnies. We have finally found a suitable property, but before we start planning properly I wondered if anyone had any advice for us. The area I am most interested in is insurance, from what I can gather most bunny boarders do not have specific insurance which seems madness. Does anyone know what sort of insurance I should go for & how much it will cost me?
I also would like to know what people do about emergency vet costs.
Thanks

staceyVB said:
Does anyone know what sort of insurance I should go for & how much it will cost me?
I also would like to know what people do about emergency vet costs.
Thanks

I don't think there is any specific insurance providers/policies for small animal boarding. I think Petplan might cover kennels/catteries so you could try calling them. Also indeminity insurance if you have people coming to the premises.

Do make sure you have permission from your local authority, they can cause difficulty.

Tam

I wonder if you rung some insurance brokers if they could advise you. I would want some sort of cover in case of a bun's death etc and being sued, is that the sort of thing you've thinking about??

Yeah, I'd hate for something terrible to happen, but these things do, unfortunately. And where people's pets are concerned & emotions are running high I would have thought that it is a possibility that a claim could be made. Also, I would want to make sure I was covered incase of escaping buns or injury.

I guessed there wouldn't be anything specific to rabbit boarding but I was thinking there would be something that kennels have that could be adapted.

Boarding Kennels can be insured for a certain amount of vet bills per dog too I think.

Make sure you have a contract with the owner that covers everything including vet bills, what to do if the pet dies, and what to do if no one picks it up!

Tam

I hadn't thought about someone not picking their pets up! Good job we will have lots of spare bedrooms, just in case!

Back