• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving to the garage

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

I've recentley had an offer accepted on a house and we have decided for Rusty to live in the garage (not used for cars). He is a house Bun at the moment but he keeps chewing the sofa and the wallpaper. He'd also have more room in the garage. It's 20 ft by 10ft and he will have at least half. We are also hoping to get another Bunny when we move in.

Just want as many ideas as possible so i can start thinking about the set up. At the moment Rusty has three levels in his cage and he loves running up and down them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Lynette.

Also is 10ft by 10ft big enough for two Buns? I'm pretty sure it is but want the best for Rusty and his new friend when we get her!

10 x 10 is lots of room :D Is there light in there? Also , make sure there aren't too drastic temperature changes and they have somewhere to snuggle up in like an open hutch.

I would say that's enough space for two bunnies :D

We did think about converting the garage in our new house into a bunny room, but we haven't got round to it yet :roll: Things I was thinking about included insulation - our garage is freezing :shock: Light - we only have a window in the back door, so it would be awfully dark, other than artificial light - we did think about a velux window thing in the roof :? Flooring - concrete at the moment - their furry butts wouldn't appreciate that :lol:

Different levels can be added by containers that can also hold the stuff to clean out etc - buns will climb on anything :D

If I think of more I'll come back :wink:

I think a friend is a great idea for Rusty :D

I'm not to sure whether it has a light actually. Will have to check on that. I also want to have a run attached to go out to the garden but will consider that in the summer as we have no grass yet anyway. I think there is a massive window and a door. Should I still get a light? It will probably be a couple of months till we move so weather will be warming up then too :D

Thanks for replies

I was more worried about natural light, as we don't have a window in the garage, which is why I was thinking about putting one in the roof - I'm not sure how it works with planning permission and what not, as we don't want to say we're using it as a room, rather than a garage, as we don't want the council tax bumped up any more :lol:

Just thought, my other concern was the fact my boiler is in the garage, and I've no idea if this is an issue or not :?

A run attached for us would also be an issue as the garage is alarmed by door sensors and motion detector :? They have a kennel/run set up outside anyway :D

a garage is fine for a warren of bunnies

but I do remember they need natural sunlight to produce vitamin D

mine live in the garage with regular releases into the garden

the concrete floor is covered with straw and they push the straw aside, prefering the concrete...which is also good for their nails

I have hutches on house bricks, the hutches stuffed full of straw...but they prefer hiding/sleeping under the hutches

one thing I wanted to build for them was a digging pit....i.e. stacked house bricks, then filled with play sand or soil....a ramp up to the rim....it would keep the diggers in the warren happy

I've put plywood boards against the garage door, so that it blocks the worst of the elements, but because my garages are part of the house, it never gets too hot or cold...their water bowls/bottles never freeze, no matter how cold outside

Back