• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sunflower seeds

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Does anyone give their rabbits a sprinkle of sunflower seeds on their food to make their coats glossy? I've just read it in the Rabbitlopeadia and am quite interested!

I sometimes give my buns sunflower seeds, I've heard they can be quite fattening though. Carmel goes mad for them!

Ooh i might get some tonight then! I will definitely keep an eye on Ozzie and how many he has - he's already quite a large bun. But my rolo could do with the gloss and a few extra calories (ozzie often nicks all her food- poor miss).

Where do you get sunflower seeds from?? Not tried it, but could give a few to the buns to help their coats look nice :D

i just presumed that the unsalted, unadulterated Holland and Barret ones would be fine. Or any other health food shop. I hope that would be ok!

I would only give one or two a day at the most as they are termed a "hot" food and and can indeed produce a nice sheen to the coat but only if fed in moderation. Too many too often will do the coat and the bun no good at all. The black seeds are the best but please remember to only give one or two as a treat only!

we give them maybe once a month as a real treat.
please don't pay a fortune for them though, you can get
a huge bag in pet supply places for no more than a few
pounds and if you just drop them in soil they will grow
just about anywhere. they grow quickly too and the rabbits
love them as plants as well.

I give them to Beau because he needs to put weight on, but only a couple at a time :D I got a bag in the health food shop and they werent expensive

Great thanks for your replies everyone!

I'll only give them as an occasional treat. It'll be nice for them to have another different 'healthy' treat :)

Back