• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking or Bitting

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have a silly question maybe... but a question. I'm new to the bunny world. We have adopted a Netherland Dwarf at the refuge on Saturday is over a year and very sweet. He is still getting used to his new environment.

He's staying in his cage for the moment, he just starting to get used to us, as the first days he was hidding all the time. Tonight I gave him a little piece of carrot and after I start to stroke him a bit after he starts to smell me and... I didn't know if he wanted to lick my finger or bit me, :oops: I know it might sound stupid of me but I had hamster before and I used to be bitten a lot so... I'm a bit scared now...

Do you think he just wanted to lick me? (sorry for the silly question)

if he was a biter im sure the rescue would have let you know. hes probably having a sniff of his new mummy and still getting used to you and maybe he did wanna give you a lick lol. i think a rabbit will lunge when he wants to bite - when harvey attacked my leg once it was really violent and knew what he was about to do. the only other time ive been nipped is when hes been nibbling at my jeans lol

its not silly atall - ive only been a bunny owner since october and asked all sorts.
try not to be scared because the bun may pick up on that, i was petrified about going near harvey after his attack because id never seen him like that but hes been fine since then and i was very brave :lol: - im sure in afew weeks he will be all settled in and fine.

welcome to the wonderful world of buns!

He might want to rub his chin on you, mine do that alot to me, Smudge more so than Honey. He likes to make sure I am his :lol: :lol:

It may be that your fingers still smelt of the carrot and he made a mistake!! If you had your hand right inf ront of his face he won't have been able to see your fingers and relied on sense of smell. Believe me, if a bunny means to bite you he leaves you in no doubt of his intentions. Subtlety is not one of their strongpoints!! :lol:

I was a bit worried about being nibbled at first - I was also put off by numerous hamster bites! Each rabbit seems to do it's own thing when it comes to mouthing...
Gaius - licks and licks, then licks some more!
Scipio - very gently nips to let me know when he wants to be put down
Aemilia - mistakes my fingers for food
none of the 'nips' are half as bad as a hamster bite though... A proper rabbit bite... well, I still have the scar (It wasn't aimed at me) and if a rabbit is inclined to do that on purpose, as has already been mentioned, I'm sure the rescue would've let you know

Scarlett kind of nibbles and licks my finger, but I think you would know if you were about to get bitten in a bad way :D

Back