• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Homeopathic Vaccinations

Suzanne

Mama Doe
I'm curious about about these vacs for buns. I've noticed a rescue (can't remember which) saying they use these - I've never heardo of them.

what you have to remember is that vaccinations traditionally used by vets affect the immune system of the animal and there are arguements that could suggest that some animals can eventually get vaccination overload - so to speak.

it is also worth considering the fact that vaccinations should only be given to animals who are 100% healthy and it may well be that for this reason traditional vaccinations or indeed traditional veterinary treatment may not be ideal for a particular animal.

Many veterinary surgeons are recognising this fact (as are GP's) and more and more are doing further training to provide things like accupuncture etc on their premises.

Personally I have seen the amazing effect that such treatment can have on animals. :D

It is also fair to see that excellent results have been found with the use of such "alternative" products as arnica (pain relief), glucosamine sulphate (again, joints, pain relief) and tea tree to name but three.

In the wild animals do not have vets at their beck and call and have to rely on insticts and natural resources to aid themselves. There is also the arguement that suggests animals in the wild actually have a better diet and are not subject to dry foods that have been stored in warehouses for months prior to reaching the open market - however that is a debate for another day :wink:

whilst we are on the subject of Homeopathic Vaccinations, how does this affect those who wish to board their bunnies as I am of the understanding that homeopathic vacines are not the same as having your buns vacine card signed by a vet as proof for the boarding establishment.

I wouldn't personally solely rely on homeopathic vacine but might consider it running along side the proper vacines, especially where myxi is concerned. I think what really sticks in my head is the heartache Shantel went through with her buns who were homeopathic vaccinated, it was truely heartbreaking to read :cry: :cry: :cry:

BUNNYSAVVY said:
In the wild animals do not have vets at their beck and call and have to rely on insticts and natural resources to aid themselves.

But , talking specifically of Rabbits, they have a short life expctancy in the wild too. They are more likely to be taken by predators than disease and if you have ever seen a colony of wild Buns with Myxi............. :cry: :cry:

With regard to Arnica and Glucosomine I use it aswell as Aloe Vera :thumb:
My Vet is a qualified Acupuncturist, there is often a doggie pin-cushion to be seen in surgery!! So my Vet is all for complimentary therapies. But she does not agree with the use of Nosodes as an ALTERNATIVE to vaccinating against VHD or Myxi. Well, not YET anyway.........

Janex :)

Denny said:
whilst we are on the subject of Homeopathic Vaccinations, how does this affect those who wish to board their bunnies as I am of the understanding that homeopathic vacines are not the same as having your buns vacine card signed by a vet as proof for the boarding establishment.

I wouldn't personally solely rely on homeopathic vacine but might consider it running along side the proper vacines, especially where myxi is concerned. I think what really sticks in my head is the heartache Shantel went through with her buns who were homeopathic vaccinated, it was truely heartbreaking to read :cry: :cry: :cry:

I did a search on this and read it through http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 - does anyone know if her remaining two bunnies survived? The poor girl, just awful :(

I think for now I'll stick to the traditional myxi and vhd vaccs

Perhaps we should not forget that a lot of conventionally vaccinated bunnies get myxi aswell and several forum members will be able to confirm this after sadly having to experience it. No vaccine is absolutly fail safe when it comes to mxyi and VHD :wink:
My bunnies all have an excellent immune system because of their natural diet, that combined with the homeopathic vacc and I have never had any problems with myxi or VHD. My vet was discussing the homeopathic vacc with me last year because he had a worrying number of conventionally vacc'd buns brought in with myxi. I think at the end of the day it is all down to personal choice as long as they are protected in some way :thumb: If anyone adopting a rabbit from me requests conventional rather than homeopathic vacc then I get that done for them.
Louise (ellepotter) also uses the homeopathic vacc's

kayjay said:
Denny said:

I did a search on this and read it through http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 - does anyone know if her remaining two bunnies survived? The poor girl, just awful :(

I think for now I'll stick to the traditional myxi and vhd vaccs

I think they did survive from what I can remember :) I cannot imagine how Shantel felt going through it :cry: :cry:

sgprescue said:
Perhaps we should not forget that a lot of conventionally vaccinated bunnies get myxi aswell and several forum members will be able to confirm this after sadly having to experience it. No vaccine is absolutly fail safe when it comes to mxyi and VHD
My bunnies all have an excellent immune system because of their natural diet, that combined with the homeopathic vacc and I have never had any problems with myxi or VHD. My vet was discussing the homeopathic vacc with me last year because he had a worrying number of conventionally vacc'd buns brought in with myxi. I think at the end of the day it is all down to personal choice as long as they are protected in some way If anyone adopting a rabbit from me requests conventional rather than homeopathic vacc then I get that done for them.
Louise (ellepotter) also uses the homeopathic vacc's

where do you get it from Cheryl and is the dosage based on the size of the bun?

Back