• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

..has anyone been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I hate to do this and it's not like me to dislike rescues, but has anyone been to [admin edit]?

I went Yesterday to take the boys i took in from the lady moving house. [admin edit].

Well anyway i rang her up and she seemed a nice women on the phone, It took me 45 minutes of stressful car ride with these bunnies but we got there. I walked through the gate and at that point i should have turned round and gone home.

As soon as i walked in i smelt mould, she has 30 cages stacked up in a small back garden, the bunnies cages were no more than 4ft and some of them smaller, there was no run in sight and the buns all looked really bored. She proudly showed off her rodents that were kept in a small shed, tightly packed together. She had about 40 rabbits and 30 rodents!

I put the boys in a hutch that had a hole in the back about the size of the palm of my hand (looked like it had been chewed by previous bunnies)

I don't think she does home checks and to top it off, she spent the whole time telling me how awful rescues were and slagging off as many as she could think of!!

I left the boys, telling myself i was doing the right thing, and stayed the night at my bf's.

I got home this morning after thinking about what i'd done all night. As soon as i walked through the door my Dad took one look at me and said "What's wrong?" and i just broke down! I cried for about an hour and Dad told me to ring her and get the bunnies back!

I've tried to ring her but the phone has been ingadged for the past hour, My dad has said that he will take me tomorrow to get the boys back as he can obviously see how distressed i am.

Has anyone on here been to [admin edit]? I personally think it's disgusting.

Sorry, and yes i do expect alot of people to be really ****** off at me and to shout at me and think i'm a ***** for saying this about a rescue! :oops:

Hi It's*all*about*the*bunny

I've never been to [admin edit], but I have been to a couple of other independent rabbit rescues in Nottinghamshire.

The conditions you've described is exactly the same as the rescues I've been to, except [admin edit] is better because at least they neuter their male rabbits and pair them up for companionship.

None of the other independent rescues in Notts neuter ANY rabbits.

Just my opinion.

Amy

I foster for [admin edit], I've never actually been there though so I can't comment, the bunnies were delivered to me.

I've adopted from [admin edit] but I've never been there. My boys were in foster care with Mandy and being spoilt rotten!! Mandy does a lot of work with [admin edit] so she'll be able to talk to you.

What you describe doen't sound great - but bear in mind a Rescue is meant to be a temporary retreat only. The buns may have come from even worse situations. I have visited a Rescue myself (not one on here) & although I would say how the buns were living wasn't great - it was making the best of a bad situation. I think it would be very easy to get over-run - however another Rescue i have seen looks great & if the buns ended up staying there forever, they would be well-cared for & loved :D

No offence to anyone on here - but if i was handing over a bun to be rehomed, i would want to know the people first-hand, or have seen how they work :D That's why poor Jill & Angie get all my fosters :lol:

abbymarysmokey said:
Hi It's*all*about*the*bunny

I've never been to [admin edit], but I have been to a couple of other independent rabbit rescues in Nottinghamshire.

The conditions you've described is exactly the same as the rescues I've been to, except [admin edit] is better because at least they neuter their male rabbits and pair them up for companionship.

None of the other independent rescues in Notts neuter ANY rabbits.

Just my opinion.

Amy

I appreciate what your saying but it's not fair that they don't ever get to go out of their tiny cages, and that 40 rabbits is far too many for 1 person to care for properly? Holes in the back of their hutch means it is unsafe!

She doesn't have room for this number of animals!

The RSPCA recommended atleast 3 hours of exercise per day...and her rabbits get none!!!

Thinking about it, many rescues have buns living in small hutches, not nice, Igot very upset when I went to visit another rescue and thought the conditions were below standard and I was all for reporting them to the RSPCA, but one lady pm'd me off this forum and said you have to think, what would of happened to the buns in the rescue if they were not at the rescue, most would of been destroyed. The rescue isn't their home, it's a half way house/ stop gap to their forever home, which keeps them fed and safe while they wait for their new Mom and Dad.

It's*all*about*the*bunny said:
The RSPCA recommended atleast 3 hours of exercise per day...and her rabbits get none!!!

that isnt true...did you see the enclosure at the back where the long termers get free range time?

Will answer properly in a bit as Im just going out for lunch now.

SOAD said:
Thinking about it, many rescues have buns living in small hutches, not nice, Igot very upset when I went to visit another rescue and thought the conditions were below standard and I was all for reporting them to the RSPCA, but one lady pm'd me off this forum and said you have to think, what would of happened to the buns in the rescue if they were not at the rescue, most would of been destroyed. The rescue isn't their home, it's a half way house/ stop gap to their forever home, which keeps them fed and safe while they wait for their new Mom and Dad.

So it doesn't matter that the ones that have been there for months and months have no room to move...just because it's a temporary home, doesn't mean it can be a sh*t hole (sorry about that, i just feel that bunnies deserve better than that no matter where they are :oops: )

SOAD said:

So it doesn't matter that the ones that have been there for months and months have no room to move...just because it's a temporary home, doesn't mean it can be a sh*t hole (sorry about that, i just feel that bunnies deserve better than that no matter where they are :oops: )

So would you rather these rabbits be PTS? is that what you're saying?

Ok, I wasn't going to enter this debate; however, I have to say, you cannot possibly know all about how someone runs their rescue by one short visit. Did you find out about the things that concern you, are are you making assumptions?
I am not saying that if the animals are poorly treated that its ok, of course its not, but what I am saying is that you cannot possibly make such a judgment on such limited information.
I really don't think you should have named the rescue and then posted in this way, after all, you could have asked 'does anyone know' and not said why you wanted to know :? :? Perhaps you should have discussed your concerns at the time, or phoned the lady up afterwards, this may have set your mind at rest.

If animals are being poorly treated, of course someone should contact RSPCA, but please please get the correct information before you make accusations, or else you could cause a lot of upset :oops: :oops:

tupperwarequeen said:
Ok, I wasn't going to enter this debate; however, I have to say, you cannot possibly know all about how someone runs their rescue by one short visit. Did you find out about the things that concern you, are are you making assumptions?
I am not saying that if the animals are poorly treated that its ok, of course its not, but what I am saying is that you cannot possibly make such a judgment on such limited information.
I really don't think you should have named the rescue and then posted in this way, after all, you could have asked 'does anyone know' and not said why you wanted to know :? :? Perhaps you should have discussed your concerns at the time, or phoned the lady up afterwards, this may have set your mind at rest.

If animals are being poorly treated, of course someone should contact RSPCA, but please please get the correct information before you make accusations, or else you could cause a lot of upset :oops: :oops:

I agree :thumb:

tupperwarequeen said:

It wasn't a short visit..but i do think i should have named it, as places like this need to be named!

tupperwarequeen said:

It wasn't a short visit..but i do think i should have named it, as places like this need to be named!

And yet - you still left your buns there???

Angie65 said:
tupperwarequeen said:

And yet - you still left your buns there???

They were not really my rabbits, and i didn't have enough room for them... Plus you think about things alot more once you've done something

If you live by there, why don't you offer to help out. To be honest yyou're not being productive. I am sure the bunnies would appreciate a cuddler off you and you supervising them in their runs. It's easy to run things down it's harder to make the effort to make a difference. All I see that you're doing is being counter productive and not helping the situation at all.

I think you need to try and be fair, and not jump to conclusions hun, what I was trying to say was if you had asked for info about the rescue but not said why, you may have got a spread of responses which may have helped you decide whether you feel the need to take the matter further. 'Naming and shaming' is unlikely to promote good feeling, and if there are issues the rescue is going to be less open to your advice and support.

Perhaps you could offer to help there, and then you'd get a better feel for how things usually run :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back