• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulgy eye , swollen head - pls help

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi

A freind of mine has a rabbit who has a swollen head and on that side her eye is bulging. Her eyeball is going yellow. She took her to the vets yesterday and was told its a tumour and would very soon die.

She has been given two days of Baytril aand 0.5ml a day and was told that was it.

I hope no one minds me asking - what do people think?

Thank you

((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))) for anyone who needs it.

Sue
xx

I'd of thought if the bun was showing that severity of symptoms a painkiller would be more appropriate than an antibiotic and I should imagine if it is suffering that the poor bunny really needs to be pts if inoperable.

Caz

Gosh, Su, you nearly gave me a heart attack then - although I'm sorry to hear about your friend's rabbit I'm very glad it's not either of yours.

I have no advice, sorry, other than to echo the others that painkillers to make sure the bun's in no pain and possibly pts when it is :(

Just to echo the others - if he was my bun I would be right back to the vet to make sure they could either make him comfortable with painkiller, or if there were really no alternative, so let him go peacefully :( I really hope the bun is not suffering :( Why would a vet send a bun like this home with just antibiotic - I really don't understand that :(

baytril wont help much if that is the case .

tell her to go back or see another vet and ask for painkiller .

poor bunny :(

Any update on the poor wee bunster? I just can't understand what the vet was thinking about :x

I could be wrong but it sounds like a retrobular abscess where the abscess develops at the back of the eye which is what is causing the eye to bulge. My book says if the eyeball its self is swollen then this could be glaucoma.

If its a retrobular abscess and the bun does not respond to antibiotic's then the eye can be surgically removed. I agree though, the bun should be on painkillers by the sounds of it.

Hi Pistachio had this, her eye went all bulgy and weepy, I took her to the vet asap, they gave her painkiller and told me to bring her back in 2 days. I did and it hadn't responded so they had her in, removed the eye and the abscess. She is now, after much hard work on my part, back outside with the other buns but it has taken about 6 weeks of recovery and constant care from me, from syringe feeding every 2 hrs for a 48 hr period, to having to push intrasite gel into the eye to get the tissue to granulate. I personally don't have a problem medicating my buns butyour friend should think careefully about whether she is prepared to do all this and really should get a second vets opinion. The baytril will do nothing, not even relieve the pain.
This thread is the original one on pistachio, it may help...
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=38539&highlight=
and then this was an update...
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39816&highlight=

Hope this helps x Jess

Back