• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lost my bunnies

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
I dont know if you remember but i posted a couple of weeks back to say we had picked up two baby french lops - Finlay and Maisie.
We noticed Maisie wasnt well so i rushed her to the vets where he confirmed she had tooth spurs already and stasis. We decided to persevere with Maisie so the vet treated her but unfortunetly she passed away in her sleep last week :cry:

This weekend i noticed Finlay had stopped eating so rushed him to the vets, he died this morning in the vets arms :cry: He also had the beginnings of tooth spurs and stasis.

I am utterley devastated, first Alfie and now these two babies. I cant help but feel a failure.

OMG, How awful for you :cry: :cry: How old were the babies ?
Do you think they were both ill before you picked them up from the breeder?

That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear that. You're not a failure, rabbits are very fragile creatures and you've been terribly unlucky.

I am very sorry to hear this.
I think it of great importance that the Breeder is informed as if the problem with the Frenchies teeth is congenital, which surely it must be as they are so young, then the Breeder MUST stop breeding from that line.
If the breeder refuses to listen or dismisses your concerns I would feel inclined to 'name and shame'......

Nothing can bring your Rabbits back but if I were in your situation I would feel compelled to try to stop more Baby Buns with congenital malocclusion being brought into the world.

Again, I really am so sorry :cry: :cry:

Janex

Oh, I'm so sorry! Where did you get them? They must have been ill before you had them, surely. It's not your fault. How old were they?

I have kept the breeder informed every step of the way, but she refuses to believe any of her rabbits have dental problems......she even accused my vet of lying! :shock:

My bf was on the phone with her this morning and she was very rude and abrupt with him, still denying that any of this is her fault! The thing that made me quite worried was she said it couldnt be teeth problems as Finlay was still eating his pellets.......yes, he had a few but they dont use their back teeth (where the spurs were) to eat pellets. I was quite shocked at this. She also didnt really understand what a tooth spur was :?

I know she has the rest of the litter advertised on her website which really concerns me :(

Is she a member of the BRC? You could contact them, though I'm not sure what their policy in these situations is...

Tam

Oh no! How upsetting for you!! You must have only just picked them up. Did they seem OK at first? (Have to say, I'm very sensitive to this as we've just picked up a 10 week old frenchie and we lost Poppy last week, so I know how you must be feeling). They must have had some illness when you picked them up, surely. :(

i'm so sorry for your loss and i know you must be heartbroken. Please for the bunnies sake take this further with the breeder if you can as it is just no right. The other babies will be at risk and you know what it has done to you, please find the strength to keep fighting this, i know you have tried already but . maybe someone else can tell you who to get in contact with. The BRC would be a good strat as Tamsin suggested.

minilops said:
Oh no! How upsetting for you!! You must have only just picked them up. Did they seem OK at first? (Have to say, I'm very sensitive to this as we've just picked up a 10 week old frenchie and we lost Poppy last week, so I know how you must be feeling). They must have had some illness when you picked them up, surely. :(

I noticed you had a baby frenchie - they are utterley amazing arent they :D

We had only had Maisie a week and Finlay 2 weeks. I truly believe this is the breeders fault and that the parents of these two have teeth problems too that she is refusing to accept.

I have been on the BRC website this morning and have emailed them, so i will let you know when i receive a reply.

I know there are people on here who have bunnies from the same breeder so i wont 'name and shame' just yet.

So sorry to hear this. You must be devastated. It's not your fault at all, and I hope you get this sorted out with the breeder.

Back